Alumni Scholarship Questions

<p>D and I submitted UA online scholarship application last night. I think we pretty much captured everything except that we never noticed a box to check if D had a parent or grandparent that was a UA Alum. My wife (D’s mother) is a Bama grad in 80’s. We put that down in “other information box” of application. </p>

<p>We were unabale to access the UA Degree Holder link directly under the UA scholarship application link in mybama. It states it is only for UA freshmen – and we are unauthorized.</p>

<p>Later, we saw a UA Alum scholarship instructions on the UA site, and it states we were supposed to check a box located in “other information” area of online scholarship application. We can’t get back to online app, it states we’ve already submitted.</p>

<p>Questions: Has anyone else noticed a box to check? Does anyone know if this $1k per year scholarship is stackable with other UA scholarships such as Presidential?</p>

<p>I would think it is stackable, since anyone getting it has the stats to qualify for the larger UA scholarships also.</p>

<p>Sorry for length – I plan on calling UA Scholarship office tomorrow, but this site has a lot of info.</p>

<p>Tks</p>

<p>I do remember that when my son filled out the application there was a box to check if a parent/grandparent was an alum.</p>

<p>I think that an e-mail to the scholarship office explaining what happened and adding in your alum info should suffice. Keep their reply as part of your paperwork. I don’t think it is too late but call after your e-mail just to make sure. I am sure that this has happened before.</p>

<p>I think the parent has to be registered with the Alumni Assoc for that link/scholarship to apply. I think there is some kind of small fee to join, but worth it to get the scholarship money.</p>

<p>Yes…it stacks on top of Presidential.</p>

<p>My S has both Presidential and Alumni Scholar Award (and Engineering) for the upcoming year. My husband is an alumni but was not up to date with his membership. They will process your application and if you are not a current member they will allow you to join. We joined with a credit card over the phone, they are extremely nice in the alumni office!</p>

<p>The alumni scholarship is also definitely stackable with the National Merit Scholarship. My daughter has both. The degree holder does need to be a member of the Alumni Association for the student to receive the scholarship. </p>

<p>I had a similar problem submitting the alumni degree holder form. I contacted the Alumni Association Office at the suggestion of our regional recruiter and they ultimately resolved the problem, but I don’t recall whether they simply confirmed my degree internally or whether I was ultimately able to submit my information online. I did just click on the link on my daughter’s MyBama account and the alumni degree holder link does work now from her account – so it may be that it is a page that only works for enrolled students. (I am pretty sure that she had already been admitted at the time that I started trying to submit the alumni degree holder form, so I don’t think it is one of the links that “goes live” when the student is admitted unless they have changed the programming of the link since last fall.)</p>