Am I hispanic or....

Just for some input from a student who is Latina (Bolivia), I really think you should reconsider “relabeling” yourself.

First point, I completely agree with @doschicos that one of the main purposes for having diverse faculty is so that they can connect with students on campus who are like them. If you have to even question your Hispanic heritage, and have never identified with it prior, it really seems like you are, in a sense, falsifying your identity. This is even further made more complicated because, yes, Hispanic can mean someone from Latin America, Spain, etc. However, these two subgroups have VASTLY different experiences. A dark skinned latino will most definitely be the target to negative stereotypes, misconceptions about their ethnicity, etc. But, someone of Spanish descent (who is white) won’t have these experiences at all. I’ve always found it a flaw of the system to categorize Latinos and Spaniards as one in the same for this exact reason. In essence, how will you, as someone with partial Spanish descent, be able to connect with students on campus who are, say, Mexican or Peruvian or Colombian? I would argue that those groups have more in common than Spaniards.

Secondly, Hispanic is not just an ethnicity, but a culture. Did you grow up surrounded by the music, dance, mannerisms, and language of Spain? What makes you feel Spanish? Could someone ask you about what you love about your Spanish heritage and you could tell them?

Frankly, it worries me how many people are looking to exploit ethnic groups for their own gain.

Ok, few points about your comment.

If it’s about skin color then I’m not white, I’m dark brown. I go through the same stuff all other brown people go through. Plenty of Americanized latinos out there too, should they not benefit from AA?

“First point, I completely agree with @doschicos that one of the main purposes for having diverse faculty is so that they can connect with students on campus who are like them”

That may be why the schools do it, but that’s not why people self-identify as Hispanic, they do it to get the job. I just want the job. I am Hispanic by every technical measure I could find. And It 's only dishonest if I lie about it, which I won’t. If someone asks me I’ll give them the details.

And I’m just trying maximize my chances, which is what anyone who checks that box is trying to do. All that box asks you is what you are. If this is what I am by any definition I could find, why shouldn’t I benefit?

And are you saying only brown Hispanics should benefit from AA? How would people decide that? I’ve had this thought too.

“but that’s not why people self-identify as Hispanic, they do it to get the job. I just want the job.”
“And I’m just trying maximize my chances, which is what anyone who checks that box is trying to do.”

I think this is false. Many blacks/latinos/Native Americans check their boxes because that is WHO THEY ARE and how they IDENTIFY in all aspects of their lives not just when it comes time to fill out a job or college application to get some perceived advantage. You have stated that you haven’t done this before but want to do it now and the only reason you are doing it now is to get the job.

You’ve stated in previous posts:

“Because I don’t know if I want to exploit the Spanish part of my heritage for personal gain and honestly it matters to that I’m not doing the “wrong” thing.”

and

“At the end of the day, I’m most interested in how latino/latinas feel about my claim.”

Yet, when people are giving you feedback about your claim you seem to be getting defensive about it. Yes, technically you can claim it although I’m not sure you should based on your postings.

Wasn’t being defensive, Just working the arguments out is all. Thanks for your feedback, really. I’m just asking questions.

Plus I’m realizing that even among Latinos there is a wide diversity of opinions on the matter. I think I’ve resolved to put it on apps that allow you to specify what you mean, and not on the ones that give a binary choice. I think I can live with that.

Apply because you are the BEST for the job, not because you think that being Hispanic is the only way you can get the job.
I have always tried to apply for the job that I think I will serve the best. If I’m not the best candidate, then I don’t want the job.

Have you considered asking the employer what they’re looking for? Or checking what any Hispanic faculty groups are comprised of?

@AcedemicJobs I think your over thinking the situation. You have applications to fill out, do so remaining in your comfort level. If it’s something that’s going to bother you later on, then don’t do it.

I (parent) am ½ Spanish and ½ Uruguayan. My kids are ¾ Spanish, ¼ Uruguayan. We have always checked the Hispanic box when it’s on forms because we are Hispanic and we want to fill out forms accurately. We have a very Hispanic last name and don’t look stereotypical Hispanic and didn’t grow up with strong Spanish or Uruguayan customs.

My kids don’t think twice about checking Hispanic on any form and we don’t make assumptions about a deeper meaning that may be behind the purpose of identifying Hispanic ethnicity on a particular form. If someone wants to know further about our ethnicity, they will ask (and they have asked – my son received a letter regarding his internship application wanting to know how as a Hispanic he identified himself and he responded back with “Spanish – Spain”. He doesn’t disclose his Uruguayan ethnicity as it’s such a small percentage (25%) that it’s not in his comfort zone. We also assume (and hope) that forms which we have turned in disclosing being Hispanic are not being viewed as “all Hispanics are alike” and hopefully, if they wish individuals with certain Hispanic experiences, that they will screen more carefully (and not simply blame the individual who accurately filled out their form).

It sounds like you’ve made your decision, but I just wanted to say that I can totally relate to your dilemma. I’m a mixed Latina (50% Puerto Rican/Cuban Sephardic Jew, 50% white Ashkenazi Jew) and have struggled on how I identify my race/ethnicity on forms. Sure, my ethnicity is Latina, but do I identify my race as white? Or mixed? Or leave it blank? Would it be fair for me to derive the benefit of AA even though I, for all intents and purposes, look white and do not face the discrimination my darker-skinned friends face? You get the picture.

I certainly wouldn’t object to your checking the Hispanic box. A few thoughts:

• You mentioned that you’ve never identified as Hispanic in forms in the past. Is there any documentation of your ethnicity? If you suddenly started identifying as Hispanic, a search committee might think you’re making it up. You don’t want people thinking that you’re another Elizabeth Warren (love that woman, but claiming she was Native American was not her finest moment.)
  • What exactly does the question ask? Technically speaking, you are not Latino (of Latin American descent), although you are Hispanic (which includes Spain). If it asks if you’re Latino, technically and morally you’d be obligated to answer no. If they ask about Hispanic heritage, that’s different.
  • Ultimately, this is your call. You know you’d be perfectly justified in ticking the Hispanic box, but you have to decide if you think it’s “kosher.” After all, the question generally asks you to SELF-identify. It’s as much a cultural question as a genealogical one. Latina is how I identify in terms of my culture and my language as well as my heritage.
  • How will you best sleep at night – if you check the box or if you don’t?
  • You mentioned that you've never identified as Hispanic in forms in the past. Is there any documentation of your ethnicity? If you suddenly started identifying as Hispanic, a search committee might think you're making it up

Not sure how they would know. They have nothing about me I don’t give them. So I don’t think there is an issue with that.

-What exactly does the question ask? Technically speaking, you are not Latino (of Latin American descent), although you are Hispanic (which includes Spain). If it asks if you’re Latino, technically and morally you’d be obligated to answer no. If they ask about Hispanic heritage, that’s different.

It asks is you are Latino/Hispanic, then usually goes on to define people who are Latino (Puerto Rico,…), and then includes people of Spanish descent (of any race). Some let me further define, white, from Europe (which I do when given the option)…

I think I’ve resolved to check the box, as (from my perspective), it’s asking me to define my genetic and cultural makeup and to say that I am part Hispanic is simply a fact. If they want to know more, they’ll ask, and since I won’t lie about anything I don’t think I’m doing anything unethical. My background and makeup is complicated, I’m part French, Sephardic, and Spanish. Why should I apologize for that? And more importantly, why shouldn’t I benefit from it?

Honestly, if you saw me in real life, and I said "Hi, My name is C***** Raoul C******, you would simply assume I was Hispanic. I am what I am, if it makes someone take my application a little more seriously why would I not take advantage of that?

My daughter has a hispanic grandparent…that is what NHRP uses as a basis so that seemed reasonable to me for her to apply for the NHRP. My side of the family has been here since the 1600’s…so it is as if we have no ethnic ancestors. Her grandma is from Puerto Rico so that is what she identifies with as “ancestors”…freckles and all.
In 3rd grade when we did International Day, she did Puerto Rico as her “background”…otherwise what would we bring, white bread? And she also just told me that as a hispanic identifying person that she felt doubly “attacked” by the president-elect…being female and hispanic. So although she is 25% hispanic, she definitely identifies with it.

Hispanics/Latinos are actually a very diverse category. Many Hispanics/Latinos themselves forget that. You are absolutely right. You are Hispanic. Your Spanish grandparent alone makes you Hispanic. The Sephardic Jew side of your family tree adds to your cultural ties with Spanish culture. As far as not being able to connect with and advise more stereotypical Latino students, I don’t think your background is a deterrent at all. I am from Spain myself and work in a school where half my students and coworkers are Hispanic. Most are 1st or 2nd generation Mexican Americans. I have never had any issues connecting with them or their families.

If your grandparents are Hispanic and African. How are your parents white? I’m a little confuse.

@sensation723 This is the U.S. Census definition of white: “White – A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa.”

@AcedemicJobs How are you planning to show a “special link” to Spain to apply for Spanish nationality?