Am I Hispanic?

I am 1/4 Mexican (through my mom so I don’t have a Hispanic last name) and 3/4 European and look super white. Do I count as Hispanic? Should I put on my college applications that I’m white Hispanic or just white? Sorry, I know this has been asked a lot before.

No. Based on how you describe your situation. Unless you consider yourself Hispanic in your approach to the world and your day to day affairs. Language heritage and viewpoints. It’s not a way to determine 23 and me type numbers. It’s to help underrepresented groups and to enhance the diversity on campus.
But I don’t have the common app in front of me and recall it’s a two question sequence. Maybe others would have a more specific answer.

Hispanic is an ethnicity. White is a race. You can be both hispanic and white at the same time. Two separate questions.

It sounds to me like you’re Hispanic. Your last name and race don’t matter. Hispanic is an ethnicity. You can choose Hispanic and enter white for race.

You likely qualify to check the box as Hispanic. Additionally, some programs will have requirements are that you are a minimum 1/4. What your surname is or what you look like will have no bearing in identification. Check the requirements of the specific program and also be honest in how you identify yourself as you move through this world. It is something to be very proud of.

“The U.S. Census Bureau defines the ethnonym Hispanic or Latino to refer to “a person of Cuban, Mexican, Puerto Rican, South or Central American, or other Spanish culture or origin regardless of race” and states that Hispanics or Latinos can be of any race, any ancestry, any ethnicity.”

College Board uses 1/4 as their cuttoff. If you are any less than 1/4 hispanic, you should not list yourself as hispanic and will probably not be eligible for college scholarships and programs that are specifically geared for hispanics.

If CB uses 1/4 as a cutoff, I’m sure it’s news to many of us.

Did you mean the National Hispanic Recognition program? They’re the ones who state 1/4.

OP, it’s supposed to be an honest answer and reflect being raised in the culture, having that identity, ongoing, and offering that perspective.

Your choice. But it is not an automatic tip.