Am I taking enough AP classes?

By the end of senior take I will have taken 6 AP classes. Is this too little for UC’s like UCI, UCD, UCSD, and UCLA?

In sophomore year I took AP European and AP Bio
Junior year I took AP Chem and AP Calc A/B

I plan to take AP Calc B/C and AP Psychology next year. This will be a total of 6 classes. Is this too little for those UC’s? I’m thinking of adding AP Physic so it would be 7 class if 6 is too little.

What is the number of AP classes taken by the top students in your HS? To be considered for a UC, you want to have a rigorous HS schedule so compare the number to your fellow students. There is no magic number but usually anything over 8 courses will not give you an extra boost. Also take AP classes that interest you since you will have a better chance in doing well in these classes.

Some top notch school districts have given up APs entirely. Isn’t that great! Thank goodness! The point isn’t to rack up AP scores but to take a rigorous curriculum. Take classes you think will be meaningful for your (regardless of whether you will have a better chance of getting a better grade-you won’t know that until you take the class). Many schools offer a variety of types of “honors” classes and some even allow you to take actual classes in local colleges-with college students not college-like classes. So counting up classes is not really important.

the most taken at my school is around 13 or 12. That is a lot compared to 6 ap courses I will take. I heard colleges compare you with other students in your school so it will definitely look like I’m taking the easy way out of high school. That’s what I am worried about.

My older son took 7 out 12 AP classes at his HS, did very well in the AP courses he took and was accepted into 7/10 schools including 5 UC’s. Younger son took 10/12 AP classes, got more B’s then A’s and got into 7/10 schools, but only 1 UC. Much will depend upon your GPA, essays, test score, EC’s and intended major. There is not exact number for AP’s. Challenge yourself but do not let your grades suffer in the process, that is why I advocate to take the courses that interest you…

I agree with Gumbymom. A couple of years ago my older son was accepted by all the UC’s even though he only took 3 AP classes. At the time, his school offered more than 10. He considered taking more than the two he took senior year, but a friend going to Berkeley told him not to do it if he thought it might jeopardize his 4.0 UW average, so he didn’t. My guess is that students should take as many APs as they feel comfortable with as long as they are pretty sure they can make As in them.