Am I taking the right language for high school?

<p>I am going to Peddie School (Boarding School in NJ) and I think I am taking Chinese for my four years there. I already speak spanish (Native Language) and English. I would like to maintain a A-/A average throughout the four years but I heard Chinese is a hard language. Should I think about switching to Spanish? Maybey colleges will look at me better as a hispanic minority at a private boarding school who knows 3 languages.</p>

<p>Is Chinese the only other option than Spanish? It would certainly be useful if you’re planning on going into business, but it would be incredibly hard to master. </p>

<p>Have you considered other romance languages? Your fluency in Spanish would definitely help… Or German, given English is Germanic.</p>

<p>There is Chinese, French, Latin, and Spanish.</p>

<p>Er, depending on the rigor of the class I think Chinese would incredibly hard, especially if the teacher is competent. (I’ve heard of Portuguese speakers teaching Spanish classes, so…) </p>

<p>I think a safe bet for you would be French, it would make you trilingual and it would be easier with your knowledge of Spanish. But if you are passinate about learning Chinese, then you ought to go with that.</p>

<p>If you are truly interested in learning Chinese, doing so could open a lot of doors for you. The US government is currently helping to fund the teaching of Chinese in the public schools, recognizing the need for more Chinese speakers to work in international relations, foreign trade, the CIA, and many other fields. I think learning Chinese would be far more impressive on your college application than French or Spanish, especially since Spanish is your native language. On a side note, are you equally fluent in reading and writing Spanish as you are speaking and understanding it?</p>

<p>Latin will help you with your other languages and with your overall vocabulary. It is also helpful if you think you might study medicine some time.</p>

<p>If Spanish is your native language and you speak it fluently, IMO you should take a different language. However, it is not always the case that if you are Hispanic, you speak Spanish fluently, there are may reasons why you might not. The rational for taking a “foreign language” is to learn a language that you don’t already speak.</p>

<p>If you ever feel like learning spanish “proper”, I guess how they do in Spain and Mexico City, then you could take a test and get in something like spanish 5 and it should still be a pretty easy A but you’d still have to keep up with the reading and it’s sort of just like english class at a point (learning proper writing rules and analyzes of poems).</p>

<p>French would also be easier. But if you like Chinese than go for it! I’m sure the teacher isn’t going to start off expecting you to know how to read, the teacher would probably be impressed if you know the Chinese alphabet.</p>

<p>I luvvz the Latin so I have to say go with that one.</p>

<p>@AspiringInSalem</p>

<p>Yep I can read and write spanish fluently (I went to school in my country until I came to America)</p>