Am I the only one not in the "top 9% of UC class of 2013"?

<p>So according to my high school counselor, I rank in the top 5% of my senior class; However, when I check my UC application status, it states that </p>

<p>“After reviewing your academic record, we have determined that you are not in the top 9 percent of students at your high school according to UC calculations. However, we consider many factors as we evaluate your application and guarantee that all students meeting the minimum requirements receive a comprehensive review of their application.”</p>

<p>My GPA is 3.7 UW/4.5 W ( Is this considered normal to be considered in the top 9 percent?)</p>

<p>Does anyone else have this problem? I really want to be qualified for this so that way I am at least guaranteed into one of the campuses. I know for sure that my counselor did not make a mistake in informing me of my class rank. Should I call the UC admissions to inform them of my status? I’m really confused and could use some feedback.</p>

<p>Here is how UC calculates your rank.</p>

<p>[University</a> of California - Statewide path](<a href=“http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/freshman/california-residents/admissions-index/index.html]University”>http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/freshman/california-residents/admissions-index/index.html)</p>

<p>I’m aware of it, I used the calculator to see if I met the requirements, and I did.</p>

<p>I’m so confused :(</p>

<p>If you used the online calculator, and qualify, that means you qualify in the STATEWIDE path. There are two paths - statewide and local (high school) path. </p>

<p>[University</a> of California - Local path (ELC)](<a href=“University of California Counselors”>University of California Counselors) </p>

<p>[University</a> of California - Statewide path](<a href=“University of California Counselors”>University of California Counselors)</p>

<p>Frequently asked questions about the local path -
<a href=“University of California Counselors”>University of California Counselors;

<p>You are not the only one, I got a bunch of questions from students and contacted UCOP about this. Here’s the response I received:

The most important thing to keep in mind: students who are not ELC but are in the top 9% statewide receive the same guarantee (a spot at UC if not accepted at any of their campus choices).</p>

<p>the other key words in that guarantee are “IF THERE IS SPACE”. </p>

<p>that little blurb gets overlooked.</p>

<p>At the UC Counselor Conference back in September, the UC staff/officials indicated that the “space available” blurb depended on whether Prop 30 passed. Since it did, I think it’s pretty safe to assume that Merced will take most, if not all, UC eligible applicants.</p>