AMA: Columbia BA, Stanford PhD, worked as admissions reader and alumni interviewer

I’ve volunteered as admission reader and alumni interviewers, and helped some of my interviewees got full-ride. I got a lot of help when I applied to US as an international student from Asia, and would love to give back to the community.

AMA.

Not at either Columbia or Stanford. They only offer financial need based aid.

It was for exceptional research talent.

https://sfs.columbia.edu/content/scholarships

Scholarships may be awarded for academic or athletic ability, interest in a certain subject, or volunteer work. Some scholarships may be given based on membership in an ethnic or religious group. Companies may also award scholarships to you or your child.

Start your search for scholarships, fellowships and grants by contacting your school’s financial aid office.

1 Like

Just to be clear for anyone reading this, the above link is not talking about scholarships awarded by Columbia. They are referring to outside scholarships.

2 Likes

Correct. Neither Columbia nor Stanford gives non-need based awards to undergraduate students.

@vk8888, I’m curious about a couple of things: admission readers are paid staff. How did you volunteer to do this?
As an alumni interviewer, how did you know what financial awards were granted to your interviewees?

2 Likes

Echoing the above. No athletic scholarships at Columbia or other Ivy League schools. Using that quote makes me question the usefulness of any advice that may be offered.

1 Like