Amc 10/aime/usamo

I know a student in my grade who takes AMC 10 at a math center owned by their parents.
They have been AIME qualifier since 6th grade and their older sibling is USAMO qualifier who also has taken exams at the same center.

Their grades and math skills in school are so average that we are sure their scores are not true reflection of their skills.

What can we do about it ?
We had sent an email to MAA about the exam being proctor by his mother but not sure if anything was done as they still continue to take exam at the same center.

Their older sibling got a big boost in summer programs and college applications because of USAMO qualification every year in High school.

Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Nothing. Let it go. I get that it feels unfair and if (IF!) your assumptions are correct then it is unfair but 1. Your assumptions may not be correct, 2. Life is unfair, sorry to break it to you, 3. If you believe in karma, then let the universe work it out. Stay out of it.

6 Likes

Unless you have actual proof of wrongdoing, as opposed to speculation, you can (and should) do nothing.

4 Likes

Is it not enough proof that they are taking this test at a center owned by his parents ?
MAA website clearly says that exam can not be proctored by a parentt.

Let it go.

1 Like

@Neeta_Su

Is it possible that this student’s family has cheated to the point that they took one of the roughly 270 USAMO spots, which is a major tip for college admissions? Yes.

I think you did the right thing by letting the MAA know that a student was proctored by their parent. But it’s up to the MAA to handle it from here onwards. And there is no point in you continuing to fume about it, as that’s not productive for you.

1 Like

Nothing. Move on.
Why is it affecting you so personally?
What do you have to gain from targeting this kid?

Those of us frequent posters, on this website, know that people who try to “game” the system tend to implode.