AMC and AIME score

So I am an international student living in Czechia and did MS and HS in Czechia but I am an Indian Citizen. I know that MIT has a section on their app for AMC and AIME scores. I plan to apply for CO2028 for Computer Science (which is a pretty mathy major). Would it hurt my application if I put an AMC 12 score of 90 and an AIME score of 4 on the app (not so amazing scores)?

@hebegebe?

It’s important to understand that there is no guaranteed path for admission to MIT (except for superhumans selected for the USA IMO or IPhO teams who always seem to get admitted). For everyone else, they look for a combination of being talented enough to thrive there and a combination of other qualities (exceptional academics, personal, leadership, community involvement, research) that they deem important.

Regarding your scores, I would say put them down because they show that you have more than enough math skills to be able to thrive there, removing any concern they might have if they don’t know the strength of your high school education. But realistically, don’t expect it to improve your chances as these days MIT rejects many applicants that qualified for USAMO (which typically requires something like an AMC-12 score of 120, followed by an AIME score of 9 or higher). And generally international students admitted to MIT are held to even more stringent criteria.

I am not trying to be discouraging, as MIT does admit many students who are not math superstars. They admit them based upon the combination of other qualities as I described above. You will want to emphasize those qualities in your application.

4 Likes

what’s the chance for the combination of AMO+IYWS+Simons camp (just declined SSP) if RD? varsity team player, not captain but won multiple state and regional awards, perfect score for all standard tests, and multiple writing keys … thx for suggestions!

Please start your own thread and I will respond on that.

1 Like

@BearNo21

Neither are high enough to matter.