American University Class of 2027 Official Thread

While AU does yield protect, no applicant is “overqualified,” because they look at essays very heavily. There’s been thousands of applicants rejected because their essays didn’t show personality or there’s one too many of that type of student. Also, yes, demonstrated interest is one of the largest factors they look into. Schools like AU get offended when you think of them as safeties, and it typically shows in an application if that’s the case.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t necessarily conclude this yet. Portal astrology is rarely accurate. It also doesn’t necessarily mean that those who don’t have it are accepted. Could be a rejection.

2 Likes

hoping it’s neither since I was genuinely interested in the program : (

And it still very well might be. I’ve seen too many of these portal astrology things do nothing but create more stress and then come out to not be true. Wishing you all the best!

2 Likes

Same

1 Like

does anyone know if american waitlists a lot of people? based on this portal astrology, its looking like a majority of people are getting waitlisted.

1 Like

According to their common data set, American waitlisted about 18 percent in 2020-2021 and 25 percent in 2019-2020. That seems like a lot, considering it’s about half the people who weren’t admitted (so about half of those who weren’t admitted were waitlisted and the other half were denied).

1 Like

american was one of my top schools so I’m hoping this is a glitch :confused: but if you select to stay on the waitlist they ask you “why do you want to be on American University’s campus this fall.”

1 Like

Hi - for my daughter, next to Honors application, it says “Submitted (not “completed” like it shows for the regular application) and when I click through, it says “There are currently no supplemental items associated with this application” - which is worrisome! What do you see on your end? Thanks for any insight you can provide!

ETA that we are not seeing the “Waitlist” form on the regular application list.

1 Like

That’s how my daughter’s application has looked since December. It has been annoying me that one says submitted and one says completed, but I think that’s how it’s supposed to look.

2 Likes

Oh, phew - I’m glad to hear that - thank you for confirming!

2 Likes

Daughter has that too. She emailed her admissions counselor about it last week, and the counselor confirmed they had the application.

2 Likes

Ok great - thank you so much!

2 Likes

My DD reached out to her counselor about the waitlist button and she said it was a glitch and to disregard it. I’m not sure that’s true but they did take it down. We were part of the whole NE email fiasco so I do take some stock in “portal astrology.” I guess we’ll just have to wait until Thursday.

3 Likes

does your intended major affect your admission chances?

1 Like

Somewhat. While AU doesn’t cap the number of admits to a certain major, they do look to have a diverse class in terms of academics. So if they can choose only one between two identical applicants, but one is in STEM and one is in Political Science, they’re more likely to admit the STEM applicant since AU has been ramping up their STEM programs in the past few years.

4 Likes

should i be concerned cause i don’t see the waitlist response option for me?

No. Don’t put too much stock into over reading of portal glitches. You’ll get your official decision in less than 24 hours.

1 Like

Post admissions decisions (released tomorrow) to the decisions thread: