American University Fall 2022 Admissions - Class of 2026

You can read about Eagle Day if you click into it. It’s just the one day (April 8) and it looks like AU will provide a lot more information/learning about various academic programs, study abroad, scholarships, etc.

1 Like

Thanks. I read both descriptions (Eagle Day and Showcase AU) and frankly they sounded pretty much the same — so I was just curious if you got more inside scoop when you called…. I appreciate the info and response in any event!

3 Likes

I hadn’t asked about Eagle Day because we cannot be in DC on April 8. When my D was accepted yesterday we changed flights to tack on a trip to DC with another (already) planned visit east (very east - across the pond!). Thankfully, AU has so many dates and options for tours, unlike most of the other schools to which my D applied, where everything is solidly booked up (or limited). But if you have questions about it, def call - the woman who answered so helpful!

2 Likes

Good question. Wondering that too! Which would be better for a student who already did a general tour (last summer) but wants to get a better sense of what it would be like to be a student at AU? It would be his priority to speak to someone in STEM their since he is interested in Environ. Sci, not a common major at American. ETA: just had my son write to the admissions office to ask about the differences.

3 Likes

My son was accepted for Journalism in School of Communications. I’m also curious about the difference between New Eagle Day and Showcase AU - the descriptions seem very similar. Big thing he’s looking for is to be able to talk to Journalism students and professors to help make his decision.

Any other Journalism students or parents on here?

2 Likes

Our daughter was accepted fir the same — school of communication as a journalism major. We attended the preview day in February and there was a panel from the school. It was a good program but encompassed the full school not just journalism, however there is a lot of overlap. Hopefully they will have a similar program at one of the upcoming accepted student days.

2 Likes

Thanks! That helps. We were torn about going to the Preview Day since we didn’t know if he was going to be accepted or not. We’ll definitely be coming to one of the upcoming events - probably Showcase AU.
Where are you coming from? We’re in Richmond, Virginia.

Pennsylvania— just outside of Philly.

We had the same thoughts about the preview day, but since we were going in town for an accepted students day at Catholic the Saturday before, we decided to stay until Monday.

D was accepted to Legal Studies major, no merit scholarship. Waiting to hear from George Washington & Syracuse to decide. How do these schools compare? D wants to go to law school next.

1 Like

1490/4.8 GPA, superstrong ECs and also waitlisted. unbelievable, I would have gone if they actually let me in.

Students with your creds need to show lots of demonstrated interest to convince them you might really go there. They assume students like you are using them as a safety school in case you don’t get into one of the other DC schools. If you look at Niche you see a good bit of red in the plot around your GPA/SAT.

4 Likes

What are good ways to show demonstrated interest - other than visiting American (which we already did)?

3 Likes

Attending virtual events, making sure you open any email they send you etc. If you’ve been waitlisted, send a letter of continued interest. Reach out to your regional AO.

3 Likes

My son emailed the other day, but he hadn’t heard back yet. So I just called to get information on the two events. The person in admissions recommended the New Eagle Day, as it’s the one day that’s solely for admitted students. The Showcase AU days are for admitted students and for prospective students, so will also hit upon the application process, etc. Hope that helps.

2 Likes

A bit delayed since I just found this discussion, but I was accepted RD! Test-Optional homeschooler with a 4.3 GPA, political science major. I was accepted with a $15k Dean’s Scholarship! I was also accepted into the AU Cornerstone program. Does anyone know anything more about the Cornerstone program? It looked really fascinating when I first read about it, but now I’m hearing that it is a delayed start? Is the first fall semester a normal experience at AU before doing the Cornerstone internship/study abroad?

2 Likes

My son is admitted admitted class of 2026 with the option to the Cornerstone program. He is excited about the opportunity, specifically the DC Experience. I’m hoping they offer a virtual to learn more. So far, I understand the students have a mentor, credits and live on campus with other cornerstone students. Have you uncovered any additional information?

I reached out on Friday because I also thought that it was a delayed start based on some of the wording on the website and posts on here from previous years. Below is the response from our AO:

AU Cornerstone which has been changed in the past few years and is no longer a “delayed start” for students. I’d encourage you to explore their website for more information about the program which allows students to complete an internship or study abroad as a first-year student while still completing courses and staying on track to graduate with the rest of their peers.

She is welcome to accept her position in the class and decline participation in AU Cornerstone with no affect to her admissions status. Cornerstone is completely optional and students self-select to be considered in the application process.

3 Likes

Okay, to complicate things–the person he e-mailed wrote back and said, “The New Eagle Day is a more generalized event while the Showcase AU provides information about specific schools.”

Still not clear what goes on when . . . but probably going to the New Eagle Day, as the Showcases are limited to 1 guest per student (and we have 2).

1 Like

When we visited in November we stayed at a great AirBnB within walking distance. I’m not sure if this goes through – FAMILY-FRIENDLY | SUBWAY | ROOFTOP DECK | AU - Houses for Rent in Washington, District of Columbia, United States (airbnb.com)

1 Like

congratulations!