Amherst Waitlist 2024 Discussion

Hey everyone! I created this thread for all us students who were waitlisted at Amherst for the Fall of 2020. Do you think Amherst is going to take anyone off the waitlist this year?

My son isn’t on the WL, but we were looking up stats for a friend who is on the WL at Brown, and I saw that last year there were zero admitted from the Amherst WL last year, so I’m guessing this year there will be considerably more, given that it’s such an unprecedented situation. Anecdotally I know several kids who’ve opted to stay at the flagship state college with honors rather than go away. My son didn’t even apply in-state, so he’s still debating some top LACs, including Amherst.

I am on the Amherst waitlist right now. I think they took about 40 something kids off the waitlist last year when I checked their common data set. I don’t know if the Coronavirus pandemic will mean they will take more people off this year or less. I am hoping for the former! Does anyone know how many people accepted a place on the waitlist This year?

@aaaaHHhhhh 40 makes more sense than zero! I guess the list I saw was wrong.

Hi! Has anyone heard back from Amherst about waitlists?

Two years ago they over enrolled so that was the year zero taken off the waitlist if I recall. Best of luck to all of you this year!

It depends on how many accepted applicants sent a deposit yesterday.

Wait a couple weeks.

It’s going to come down to how many students opt to defer for a year due to all the uncertainty. Amherst sent around an email saying that they may limit the number of deferees to be fair to next year’s applicants. Bottom line is that no one knows how this will play out, but I think that’s the key variable.

Do you think they waitlisted more people than they usually do due to Covid?

i too am waitlisted. nothing happened, just checking in

how long do you guys think they’re going to wait before they start taking kids off?

if they are going to take people off then i assume theyll start soon. potentially since amherst is a small school if they have good yield this year then we may not even ever find out if people get taken off because it could be a very small amount of kids

then again, yield could be poor this year (probably likely but who knows) and then we might get lucky

At the same time, COVID could be a reason to choose Amherst over larger schools. I’m no doctor, but it’ll probably be easier to do contact tracing in a smaller school, not to mention large schools make it easier to mass spread the virus. This might mean it might be more likely that a smaller school like Amherst opens as opposed to say, umich which might not reopen because they don’t want to infect the entire population.

They should be starting any day now, right? Last year they started releasing waitlist notices this week. Honestly losing hope though, being an international student sucks big time :((

I totally understand @macaowllover. I’m in the same boat as you. Really hoping Covid won’t affect international waitlist students.

anyone wanna email and ask for an update

I was placed on the waitlist and got a call from the dean of admissions yesterday evening informing me that I was accepted

1 Like

hey @2020senior12345 could you provide some more details? did give any useful info

Congratulations at @2020senior2020! That’s great news!