Amtrack/Rail

<p>Does anyone know how close the rail station is to Tech? </p>

<p>Does Amtrack come through the station?</p>

<p>Just curious because we will have one in MD and one at Tech, I need to start figuring out how I will be able to get to both for Turkey Day!</p>

<p>There’s an Amtrak station in Lynchburg and one in Greensboro. They’re both about 2.5 hours away.</p>

<p>Amtrak is not the ideal way to get to Blacksburg. If you don’t want to drive, there is a Greyhound station and and an Airport in Roanoke. From there, the SmartWay bus will take you directly to the Tech campus in about 45 mins.</p>

<p>I was just hoping there was an Amtrack station because I know there is one for UVA. My thought process was our route takes us passed UVA so maybe we were in alignment. </p>

<p>Luckily VT and UMD are not on the same schedules…except for Thanksgiving return.</p>

<p>We’ve had good luck with Home Ride of Virginia:
Home Ride – Provides weekend and holiday bus service from Radford University, Virginia Tech, James Madison University, and the University of Virginia to Northern Virginia, Richmond, Hampton, Harrisonburg, and Charlottesville.</p>

<p>Thank you, My3tuitions! After researching Greyhound and Amtrack to get our son back to Southern Maryland, it did not look good. Home Ride could work out great as we are about an hour from the Vienna station.</p>

<p>Home ride is very good, I used it a lot my freshman year when I didn’t have a car. I don’t know what the ticket prices are now but they were good back when I used it. The best thing about homeride is that the buses are comfortable and everyone is a student and it’s easy to have something in common, no sketchy people ect. </p>

<p>I took the greyhound out of roanoke once my freshman year and that was interesting. The station is at a very sketchy area and the people on board are kinda scary too or can be. The bus driver is behind a cage ect, it’s like a prison bus compared to home ride. I’d look into home ride if you can. I also know a lot of students who used the airport (if they live multiple states away) and take the smart way from there. The Smartway bus is a really good bus that goes in between Blacksburg and Roanoke, it picks you up and drops you off right under the bridge near Squires. </p>

<p>So yea there is no train, the only trains that come by here are coal trains that go into West VA.</p>

<p>Home Ride rates seem reasonable to me – $102 round trip to Northern VA ($58 one way). Definitely a good option, and no transfers/layovers is a timesaver compared to going Greyhound.</p>