Amtrak for Bama Bound

<p>DS and DH are going to Bama Bound 6/24-25. They are booked on Amtrak (although I didn’t know about the College Visit deal) from Northern VA. They are both staying in the dorms the night before BB and during BB. Question is - because it looks like there are no real food options available on campus for the evening before BB, should they rent a car? Looks like they could get Enterprise to pick them up at Amtrak station. Any other recommendations?</p>

<p>They are places to eat on the strip within walking distance of campus. I would not rent a car for the sole purpose of eating. </p>

<p>There are plenty of places to eat, you could even order food in.</p>

<p>If your S knows his roommates (or any others who are attending the same BB session), if they check in together at the same time, the boys will room together in the same dorm suite. Parents are in a different wing of dorm, away from students. A lot of the students (new friends!) go out to dinner together (via walking) or have group dinners arranged by BB…and a lot of the parents pool together too and do the same thing. There will be many other families with cars. If you are a fairly open and outgoing person, you will have no problem finding people to share rides with, eat with, and talk with! They will probably become your new CC friends for life. :wink: There are usually parent receptions in a side room off the lobby in the dorm for mingling. Students are even given a bama cash card for some meals on campus (think ~$12?). Unless you make a conscious effort, you might not see much of your student during BB. Good luck! </p>

<p>No Bama Cash given! They don’t even get their ACT cards until late afternoon the first day. But you don’t need a car. They can eat on the strip. Please join our University of Alabama Class of 2018 FB group. We posted lots of tips about Bama Bound!</p>

<p>Lots of places to eat on the strip. Chinese, pizza, Moes, Firehouse subs just to name a few. Easy stroll from Ridgecrest. Can also get dinner at the Capstone Hotel.</p>

<p>Thanks everyone. (I am on the FB group and am enjoying all of the hints). I’ll pass this along to DH and DS.</p>

<p>NC Mom: yes, Bama Cash is ‘stored’ on the ACT card - are you saying that UA no longer gives a few bucks loaded onto the student ACT for meals during BB? I stand corrected, if they do not.</p>

<p>They put the cost of a dinner at Lakeside Dinning on the card.</p>

<p>DS and I arrived the night before our session and both stayed in (separate) dorms. The strip is a very easy walk from Ridgecrest, with plenty of meal options - DS ate at the Pita Pit, and said it was good. The strip is actually so convenient that I am concerned DS will spend a lot of $$ there rather than using his all-access freshman meal plan. Publix is right there, too. I would recommend picking up breakfast items for the first morning there if your hubby and son want more than granola bars and water, which is what was provided. Lunch, dinner, and second-day breakfast were much more substantial :).</p>

<p>DS’ action card was loaded with $8.91, which is still on his account. They must not have scanned his card when he ate at Lakeside.</p>