Amtrak from Greensboro (NC) to Tuscaloosa!

<p>…and presumably back again. WOO-HOO! Just discovered this. It’s part of Amtrak’s Crescent route. </p>

<p>This is a great option for DS for the Christmas holidays. (He won’t have a car on campus the first year…so it’s either Amtrak or Greyhound or he doubles up with another student or we go get him…)</p>

<p>Is anyone familiar with the Amtrak station / stop / whatever it is in T-Town? It’s on Greensboro Ave., wherever that is. Is that a safe area? </p>

<p>Thanks so much!</p>

<p>Diane</p>

<p>It’s not too far from the school…but a taxi would be needed to get there.</p>

<p>It’s in an area that may have been affected by the tornado, but not sure. If the Amtrak station itself was affected, I imagine that some kind of accommodation has been done.</p>

<p><a href=“Google Maps”>Google Maps;

<p>I have previously taken Amtrak’s Crescent to Tuscaloosa. The station is only about a ten minute ride from campus. The area where the station is located is fine, a little isolated but safe. There is a small station with a waiting room. You can easily call for a cab when your train arrives but allow a few minutes to collect your bags first, The cabs arrive very promptly. I think with a good tip it was around $10.00</p>

<p>It’s on the corner of Greensboro & Hargrove about a 10 minute drive from campus. lil bro took that train back to Tuscaloosa after Christmas break. Trip was a little long for him but it was about $250 cheaper than flights were at the time. I told him to suck it up as he might be taking it again sometime :-)</p>

<p>The station itself is fine Mom2k. I drove by there when I was down last month and it was untouched.</p>

<p>BTW, one of the best bars in Tuscaloosa is right near the train station. You haven’t attended UA until you’ve had a crazy bucket from Harry’s Bar.</p>

<p>Wow, thanks, y’all! This definitely sounds like the way to go!</p>

<p>Speaking of going from Winston-Salem (home of Wake Forest Univ) to Tuscaloosa…someone just reminded me of this old Steely Dan song:</p>

<p>CHORUS:
I’ll learn to work the saxophone
I’ll play just what I feel
Drink Scotch whiskey all night long
And die behind the wheel
They got a name for the winners in the world
I want a name when I lose
They call Alabama the Crimson Tide
Call me Deacon Blues </p>

<p>ROTFL!</p>