Announcing the BETA of Our New AI-driven College Chance Calculator!

This thing is way off!!! Said my daughter with a 4.0 unweighted GPA, AP Scholar of Distinction, top 4 in class and 34 ACT had a 6% chance at one of our state schools that has a 76% acceptance rank and an 11% chance at another state school with an 80% acceptance rate.

Apparently my 4.0, ranked #1 in a top 10% public school, 1580 SAT daughter has a 68% chance of getting in Cederville University, with its 1228 median SAT and acceptance rate of, well, I don’t know…

Acceptance Rate 79%
Acceptance rate: 59%

But an 87% chance at NYU!

Filtering for “very selective” schools gives be Hendrix College. Is this an unknown gem in the middle of Arkansas?

It is very difficult to get into Hendrix College. Around 71 percent of all applicants are admitted to Hendrix College each year.

Having spent a career in SW development, I believe it’s actually hard to get it this wrong.

Maybe the press release saying this will "Democratize College Admissions Information " means everyone has the same random results.
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/collegelab-and-college-confidential-announce-partnership-to-democratize-college-admissions-information-301383104.html

2 Likes

I can always count on you for some raw, unfiltered feedback @RichInPitt. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: We’ll take it to heart and make it better.

It isn’t my call but is this a “business” CC really wants to be in?

I can see people getting upset if the calculator doesn’t give the results they hope for.
I can see people getting (more) upset if actual results are far less positive than the calculator predicted.

Particularly for elite colleges there is almost no way to predict which of the many well qualified candidates will be accepted.

Another epic fail here - son with 3.65UW and 4.1W has a 6% chance at University of Kentucky but a whopping 87% chance at Penn and Johns Hopkins . . . who knew?! It also gave him lower than average chance of admission at some target schools where he has an excellent (real) chance of admission.