Another Dorm Question

<p>How are the beds, comfort-wise? Do most kids put an eggcrate or memory foam topper on the mattress?</p>

<p>yes to the memory foam. got ours at overstock</p>

<p>All of D’s friends who are already there have put toppers on their beds. I know of one guy who has a 4 inch memory foam topper this year and says he wouldn’t be able to sleep without it.</p>

<p>not sure you need 4 inches … but whatever makes you happy.</p>

<p>Will the beds be okay to sleep on if I can’t afford a mattress topper?</p>

<p>it may not be the best bed you ever slept on, but thousands of kids and parents sleep on them with no mattress pads every single year at bama bound.</p>

<p>While a mattress topper is not absolutely necessary, it is a very nice addition to the bed. I have a very good quality cotton mattress topper, but less expensive ones can be found at Target or Wal-Mart. This past October, I took the free shuttle to Target and found a whole endcap full of the basic Twin-XL mattress toppers on clearance for $3.50 (75% off). The Tuscaloosa Target orders large amounts of popular dorm supplies and clearances out the remaining stock in September and October. I’ve picked up a lot of nice items for my dorm room at 75% off this way.</p>

<p>grammar girl…</p>

<p>Try to get a memory foam mattress topper. Can you work this summer? If so, try to get one. </p>

<p>I think the Overstocks.com sometimes has them for under $100 each.</p>

<p>(I don’t think the ones that Sea_Tide is talking about are memory foam. Those sound like the old style egg crate ones that aren’t nearly as effective.)</p>

<p>Our oldest S took his comfy mattress to college last year and we replaced it with a bottom-of-the-line mattress which he had trouble sleeping on when home on breaks. We picked up a queen size mattress topper for under $100 at Kohl’s (watch for sales and coupons). It’s made a huge difference.</p>

<p>lattelady- I was going to mention Kohls too- good prices with their coupons. Sometimes 75% off…</p>

<p>We bought one from Costco for less than $100. While it doesn’t say it is XL, it fit very well and works great.</p>

<p>the one i got from overstock was 50 - 60.</p>

<p>Oh, and are the walls smooth? Particularly in Ridgecrest West? D wants wall decals and I don’t know if they’ll work on a textured surface. My recollection of my college dorm room is painted cinderblock, which definitely was not smooth.</p>

<p>yes pretty smooth</p>

<p>I have another dorm furniture question- son wants to set up double monitor. Would like to use a stand that clamps on the desk. Can someone ask their student to look at the desk in RCS N tower and let me know if there is an overhang on the back of the desk that is deep enough to have a clamp placed on it? </p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>no ledge on desk</p>

<p>Thanks Mike- very helpful. Will need a stand not clamp style then!!</p>