Another Emerging Scholars Question

<p>For those who (or whose children) have participated in the Emerging Scholars Program, how does the 1 credit UA 155 class in the first semester of the program work? Are there multiple sections to choose from, or does one have to plan a schedule around a single meeting time? It seems unlikely that they could find a single time when everyone would be available, so I’m guessing it’s the former, but since I can’t find it in the list of fall courses, it’s hard to know.</p>

<p>Also, does anyone know when students hear whether they’ve been accepted to this program? Did everyone who applied last year get in, or is it selective?</p>

<p>I think it was a couple of different classes. S’s was weds afternoon. I believe some of the students that were accepted started in spring instead of fall due to space limitations and the ability to fit the class into their schedule.</p>

<p>Thanks! Do you know when they found out if they were accepted? Is it before the first Bama Bound?</p>

<p>Beth’s Mom- My son started this Spring and his class was on Monday afternoon. He didn’t apply until last summer so it was after his Bama Bound session. Since there were so many kids that were offered spots, they gave you a choice if you wanted to start in the fall or spring. My son picked spring because he was doing marching band and knew that would take up a lot of time. Looking back, he should have just stuck with the fall because the first semester is just one meeting a week and it is basically preparation for the research that will start the following semester. So now he will be doing his research this fall along with band again and second year engineering:)</p>

<p>He really hasn’t said much about the whole thing. I know he was told that the second semester class would be two credits or possibly three depending on the amount of research you do. The first semester class is just one credit and I think they only meet for an hour. Good luck.</p>

<p>It sounds like the process has changed from last year. My DD received an email inviting her to apply to Emerging Scholars last July and was accepted a couple of weeks later. She filled out a short application and was assigned to the fall session. I think she had a couple of choices as far as time slots for the class on Wed. afternoons. She had already been to Bama Bound, so it was just serendipity that she had no conflict. It has been a great experience for her!</p>

<p>Has anyone heard anything yet?</p>

<p>My daughter received a response from Ann Webb on 4/25 stating that she was not at the point for admitting for Fall, but would consider my daughter’s application among the first when she did. Hope this helps! :)</p>

<p>I just received an email inviting me to participate in the Emerging Scholars program. It links me to the application, and as I am not an extremely high stats person I am wondering if this e-mail was sent to everyone who will be in the honors college. Also, I am wondering if anyone knows the value of the ‘small scholarship’ mentioned in the e-mail. Thanks!</p>

<p>^^^^If you were sent the application and are interested, fill it out and submit it. It certainly is worth a shot! I hear very good things about the program, and it has less of a time commitment than some other programs.</p>

<p>JTownatp- I don’t think the email had anything to do with being honors, because Emerging Scholars is open to students outside of the honors college. But I figure it was some sort of automatic email, because I got it even though I’d already submitted my application to the program. I’m also curious about the scholarship, I didn’t know about that before.</p>

<p>I think I’ve seen somewhere before that the scholarship is around $250 or $300.</p>

<p>The scholarship last year was $150 each semester.</p>

<p>Does anyone know how competitive this program is? I understand there are about 100 spots per semester but have no idea how many apply.</p>

<p>my daughter received an email today stating “I invite you to participate in The University of Alabama Emerging Scholars Program. This program gives you a unique opportunity to become involved in a UA faculty member’s research during your first year on campus.” Does this mean that she has to apply or that is has already been invited to do this? What exactly is this program and how does it fit in with honors college and/or honors courses? Is it better to sign up for the fall session or spring session? She is an incoming freshman for Fall 2012.</p>

<p>just saw this about the program online: “Any regularly admitted student who is entering The University of Alabama for the first year of full-time university study is eligible for the Emerging Scholars Program.” This doesn’t seem very selective. Is is worth the time/effort for an incoming freshman?</p>

<p>I’ve heard great things about it. I wouldn’t worry about the fact that everyone can apply. That doesn’t mean that it’s not a highly valuable program. I think your D should apply. :)</p>

<p>If your daughter is interested in research, I would think Emerging Scholars is a good way to get involved in it. I know a rising UA junior from our hometown who did it his freshman year and then continued doing research with the same professor this past year. I haven’t spoken to him about it personally, but his mother can’t say enough good things about the program. I like the fact that it’s open to everyone. I don’t know how selective the program is (my D has applied but we don’t know if she’ll be accepted), but even if it’s not particularly selective I don’t think that will make it any less worthwhile for a student who wants to get involved with undergraduate research.</p>

<p>Do you guys think that if I’ve already applied and still gotten this email, I need apply again? Or do you think that they just sent this to everyone as a technicality?</p>

<p>Have you received an acknowledgement of receipt for your application? My D originally sent an e-mail to Dr. Webb (since that’s what it said to do on the website) and got no response. A few weeks later she filled out the application on the website (which had been revised since we first looked at it), and that was acknowledged after a week or two. She then got the mass e-mail inviting her to apply and another acknowledgement of receipt of her application within hours of each other. So if they’ve acknowledged receipt of your application, I don’t think you need to apply again - I think they just sent the invitation to some subset of students without regard to whether they’d already applied.</p>