Another Honors Housing question

<p>Looking for suggestions about an honors dorm, convenient to engineering buildings that draws kids interested in intramural sports (basketball, flag football). DS wants to be in an honors dorm and/or floor that has lots going on. Thanks for any suggestions!</p>

<p>Our son is in Riverside West. He is in the CBHP program and an Engineering Major. Many engineering students live in Riverside East and West Honors dorms due to close proximity to the Engineering buildings. Another plus, it is very close to Lakeside Dining. To him, the walk to the Ferg isn’t that far either.</p>

<p>Other advantages may come into play for your student. For instance, Riverside doesn’t have a stove top or oven in the suite. If he likes to cook, this could be important. Our son didn’t care to cook but quickly became tired of the dorm food. It’s good food but repetitive. He microwaves a lot of meals and would like to have stove top access.</p>

<p>I don’t know if anyone has mentioned it, but when choosing a dorm, if you opt out of an Honors dorm during any semester, your student will not ever be able to move back into Honors housing again. We were fortunate to have other CC’ers share this information with us. Our son is very tall, and a big guy, so we looked at another dorm that was close to engineering with full size beds. He preferred to stay in Honors however.</p>

<p>I hope this helps. As far as sports, it seems that all the dorms have decent access to many many activities. The sign ups during their week of welcome give everyone open access.</p>

<p>Good luck and Roll Tide!</p>

<p>Thank you! On a side note, is your son enjoying CBHP?</p>

<p>There isn’t a particular honors dorm that is known for attracting kids who like to do intramurals. Frosh tend to pick Ridgecrest South first because that’s the dorm they’re shown on honors tours and it’s the newest. Once that’s full, they tend to pick whatever’s closest to their classes or where their future suitemates are. </p>

<p>The honors halls are not like some of the other halls that have a theme…such as X is the Engineering dorm, and Y is the business majors dorm, etc. Kids just choose based on newness, closeness to classes, and/or friends.</p>

<p>Intramurals are run thru the Student Rec Center, so you don’t have to be in a particular dorm to participate. </p>

<p>And, since the mix of kids changes each year at every hall, there’s no way to predict which hall or floor will have the most involved or athletic kids. </p>

<p>Ridgecrest South has a basketball court and a volleyball court. It’s convenient to the Eng’g buildings. I’d try there first.</p>

<p>So helpful … Thank you M2CK!</p>

<p>He loves CBHP. It’s been a great learning experience…as have the other classes. Since we are OOS we were concerned about adjustment issues, social interaction, meeting new people, etc. Bama has been an incredible choice. Like most of the children we have met, or whose parents are on CC, he had multiple opportunities to attend other Universities. He (and we) felt that UA offered more opportunities for students than any of the multiple other choices, even though most were higher “ranked”. That’s proven to be very true.</p>

<p>Best of luck to you and your child.</p>

<p>Crimson…what kind of research is your son doing? What is his engg major? I am still trying to get my son interested in cbhp but he just doesnt understand what he would be doing…especially as a computer science major. If I could tell him he might be able to study robotics or acoustics,etc…it may spark his interest.</p>

<p>When you’re in CBH, you’re not restricted to research that is only in your major. My son was a math major, but he once did research with an OB/GYN on infant mortality rates in rural counties. He also once did research on increasing school bus safety after an Alabama school bus had a terrible tragedy which cost several student lives. Both types of research had been ordered by the Gov’r because they had statewide significance.</p>

<p>So, yes, if your CS son has an interest in something else, he can do that.</p>