Another mom for Illinois with questions

<p>Hi all,
D has been accepted and received the Presidential scholarship. YIPEE! She would like to visit the campus and we are uncertain which day to do it. I know there are University days in February and today she received an invite to Capstone Scholars day in January . Are there benefits to these organized events or should we do our own arranging for a different day?</p>

<p><em>from Illinois</em></p>

<p>Welcome!!!..and congrats on the Presidential!</p>

<p>I wouldn’t recommend UDays…especially the ones after the New Year…those are really for juniors in HS and the process for applying during Fall 2012 for the following year (2013)</p>

<p>As for Capstone Scholars Day…it’s ok, but not very personal since so many kids are coming on the same day. CSDay doesn’t include a full tour, either…mostly just a walk across the quad. </p>

<p>if you can arrive late on Thursday and do the campus tour on Friday and meet with Honors & dept heads on Friday, then attending CSDay on Saturday would be ok.</p>

<p>Edited to add (thanks Dad2ILD)… :)</p>

<p>If you want to tour Bama…</p>

<p>set up a campus tour time online…try for the early morning one.
<a href=“http://gobama.ua.edu/visits/[/url]”>http://gobama.ua.edu/visits/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>send an email to Allison Verhine in the Honors College </p>

<p>In the email, include:</p>

<p>tour time and date
student name & contact info
test scores and GPA</p>

<p>intended major and career (in your case pre-dentistry)
interest in Computer Based Honors program and/or University Fellows Program (if desired)
Also, include any thing else that interests you about the school…such as touring the new Science and Engineering Complex and Shelby Hall. </p>

<p>Allison will arrange the rest of the day…meeting with dept heads, honors faculty, touring honors dorms, etc.</p>

<p>Allison Verhine - Honor College Recruitment Coordinator
269 Nott Hall
205-348-5534
<a href=“mailto:allison.verhine@ua.edu”>allison.verhine@ua.edu</a></p>

<p>Welcome! We are from IL too, and visited for U Days. Not impressed. However, our personalized day through the Honors College was Amazing. Get in touch with Allison in the Honors College and she will plan an agenda for you. M2CK has a good bit of info that she regularly re-posts which has all the info about how to engage with Allison and the Honors College to get your day planned. Feel free to PM me with any questions you may have. Roll Tide!</p>

<p>Based on my D’s experience, I would strongly recommend against having your only visit be over Capstone Scholars weekend, even if you arrive early. My D visited last year as a junior on the Friday before CS day, and compared to the visits others have had, hers was mediocre at best. There were too many other prospective students on campus, which resulted in confusion, unavailability of honors faculty, etc. Find another time and you’ll probably have a much better visit.</p>

<p>Beth’s mom is right. Last year, the day before CSDay was overwhelming (I was there with my nephew). </p>

<p>School had just resumed 2 days earlier (after being off for a month for Christmas break) and wasn’t prepared to have so many kids show up a day early for CSDay…everyone was focused on Saturday, so when hundreds showed up on Friday, there weren’t enough guides to go around. </p>

<p>Let me contact Allison and find out if the school is aware that this could happend again this year and has a plan in place. :)</p>

<p>We also are from Illlinois but nearly all of the family is in the South (not Southside!). While we had spent alot of time in the state of Alabama, the first time my daughter saw the U of A campus was spring of HS junior year. We were visiting nearby and just decided on a whim to drive over to see what the campus looked like. She fell in love with the look of the campus and that stadium. A boy rolled down his car window and gave the “Roll Tide” and every other school we had looked at fell to second place. We spent about two hours shopping and walking around. The first official visit was Capstone Scholars Day with the early Thursday arrival and individual meeting with an honors college rep and dean of the school of her intended major. I agree the weekend was hectic. However, I felt she got a feel for the type of students Alabama was recruiting. She liked the kids she met and felt she would fit in with the honors group.</p>

<p>I will have to give all your advice some thought. GCBMIB make a good point that visiting during a Capstone event allows kids to see their potential classmates. I would most likely take the advice and arrive on Thursday in order to do Moms suggested private tour, meetings on Friday and then meet up with the Capstone invitees on Saturday.<br>
Waiting on D to decide on a major. She was set on Deaf Education at a state university and then began having second thoughts on teaching. Maybe speech path now but unsure. A hard choice for a teenager!</p>