Another question about High School Senior Year coursework for Engineering

If a student who wishes to major in Chem Eng or Biomedical decides to forgo dual credit calculus 1 and then attends one of the academies through which he takes two maths, two sciences, and two engineering courses, he would be eligible for ETAM without having finished his math sequence. So he would still need to finish a third calculus prior to transitioning to College Station, meaning he would need to attend summer school.

Is this correct?

@WTXMama @trinley has written an indepth response to this question on post #53 on the Engineering Academies thread, but in a nutshell, he writes …

“It is a 2 year program but can transition sooner. TAMU also offers direct enrollment in multiple Engineering Academies though junior colleges throughout the state. My son is at the Blinn Engineering Academy in Brenham. It is a 2 year program but you can transition to CS after 1 year (but you will have to complete the calc sequence for your selected major which for most majors is Calc 3). At the Academies you are co-enrolled. TAMU teaches the engineering class and the junior college teaches the calc, chemistry, physics and electives. You need a 2.0 GPA in the engineering courses and at least a 2.5 GPA in the junior college courses with no grade lower than a C to transition to TAMU CS”.

If your son was full admit, he would just register for it and take it at TAMU his third semester. In the academies, he will have to complete Cal 3 at the academy. I don’t know if that means carrying a full load at A&M after he gets into a major and then traveling back over to Rellis to take cal 3 or what. @trinley ?

Thank you @Thelma2 . That’s what I thought @trinley had said, but I didn’t know where to find the post. You bring up another interesting option (assuming Rellis is Blinn-Bryan). They probably wouldn’t allow that.

I appreciate the answer!

Yes, Rellis campus is the Blinn/Bryan engr academy. Classes are now held at the new Rellis campus instead of the Bryan campus of Blinn. Breham is another Blinn campus.

@Thelma2 @WTXMama you must complete the calculus sequence at Blinn before you transition to CS. So that means either taking first summer term or the following fall semester at Blinn. Cant go to CS until that you pass calc 3 (unless your selected major doesn’t require it)