Answering questions about Loomis

oh my god okay I have a long list

1. tape/scissors/GLUE STICK - literally you will hang up so much stuff and not realize and BOOM tape is gone. or like having to cut something for class, for my English class we had to do a collage over the weekend and half of that was just me trying to find scissors

2. A deck of cards, good conversation starter, and also just for fun, I’d recommend getting a nice deck if possible - so you can distinguish it as yours and also impress your friends. My friends all have different vibes with their decks so it’s really fun lol. Also, a lot of people learn card tricks here for fun

3. A set of travel silverware - the dorm will not have silverware, trust me. Bring your own set of forks/spoons/chopsticks to keep in your room in case. Mine were so helpful when I brought food back to my room + stuff

4. Lamp (if you can), the Loomis lighting is honestly too bright and some dorms only have overhead lighting also, at night you’d want a little ambiance.

5. surge protector, I don’t know if this is on the list but my room has 3 chargers, all of which are in between the wall and my furniture, so having one helps, also protects your room from like electrical surges that can affect other stuff (my led lights burned out b/c of my fridge).

6. Small speaker, for showering, picnics, movies, whatever. Just good to have

7. I will sound weird but tote bags/purses, I have tote bags for carrying water and groceries and also one for the gym, etc. And it’s just convenient. On the same line get a wallet for your cards and stuff b/c you need the card to get to dorms, etc.

If you ask me I might have more but yeah

OH BRING AN UMBRELLA IT RAINS HERE A LOT

2 Likes

What is it like working for the newspaper? Is it really hard/difficult to manage? What are the positions, like editor?

This is funny I just interviewed for editor today hold up-

Log-
1/2 editor in chief (must have been section editor, always a senior)
3 managing editors (must have been section editors, almost always seniors)
~ 10 section editors (2 per section)

graphics managers I don’t know much about but there’s around 3-4 GM’s every year

students also apply for the position staff writer, which means you write every/every other issue.

it’s one issue/month, so you write one article (of varying lengths depending on the section) every month. Also if you are a first-year student, you don’t need to write every issue. I write 2 articles/issue personally, but one of them is always horoscopes so it works out

I can also talk about the other publications if you want (loom, hourglass/world bulletin, etc.)

Personally, the Log was one of the biggest things that helped me transition into Loomis. It was really good that I was able to establish a consistent column and it helped me find my niche/footing on the island haha.

1 Like

That’s really nice, thanks!

Also, that would be amazing !

I noticed that sometimes in The Log there are drawings for articles. Is there a position where one would be able to do those, or do people just send the drawings in?

Also, I like the horoscope articles!! They’re really interesting

Thank you :)) I spend a lot of time on them hahaha

We have graphics editors and contributors!

1 Like

Are there any restaurants or shops you recommend? Are they affordable?

Windsor is a small town- likely most of the shops I say you will encounter.

I’ve worked at the antique store next to CVS in the fall and winter- the shop was super cute. They sell thrift clothing, etc. and the owners are really nice. There’s also a second antique store a further walk away that also has a lot of stuff (though the owner hates LC kids this year- apparently they shoplifted a lot)

The bean is the cafe. The owner is also really nice I’d recommend it.

Not really any restaurants??? Maybe the Thai place but I feel like eating in town isn’t something I prioritize and I’d rather just get food and cook myself lol. Most restaurants here are honestly fairly priced (e.g. $12-13 for a big plate of pineapple fried rice at the Thai place), I just don’t spend money on food if I can get on a train and get better food at New Haven

Are you allowed to go to New Haven on the weekends whenever? Do you have to get permission from a bunch of people? Being able to travel to nearby places and visit shops sounds cool !!

You’ll need a PER, which means your parents and the dean/OD/dorm head has to sign you off before you go. I’m lucky that my parents are very lenient on where I go, even letting me go to nyc with my friends. But to have a PER that far away you will need a host (adult that can take care of you at said place). If a trip is under 4 hours (e.g. if you want to go to central Hartford/only going to NH for lunch or something) though, you don’t need a host, just the parental/admin permission.

1 Like

Are you supposed to take the train? How long can you be gone for, or how long usually are your trips?

This thread is now a two-way conversation that should move to DM.

They are general interest posts that can benefit others.

also seeing as strawberry_2’s profile is hidden, there is literally no way I am able to DM them.

It’s been a month of back-and-forth between two people and the questions are getting very specific, but OK.

Other new students are free to ask questions. In fact, we welcome them to do so.

The thread’s topic has value, don’t get me wrong. And I do hope more new Pelicans join in.

Can you bring a bike to school as a boarder?

Also, any recommended courses/teachers for freshman year? I realize there are not many choices freshman year.

Thanks!

From the Student Handbook:
“Bicycles (and required helmets) are useful for practical and recreational reasons. Be sure to purchase adependable (kryptonite-type) lock.”

1 Like

I was wondering about the course selection process for new students. Some of the courses say you had to have taken earlier courses to qualify or you have to get departmental permission. As a new student I was wondering how to get that permission.

I have been really involved in theater and acting my whole life. I really want to take the Acting 2 class instead of the Acting 1 class, but I am not sure if I can.