Any actual Geneseo Students out there?

<p>In deciding where to go it is helpful to hear from actual students occasionally.Most all other college forums have tons of insights from actual students and this one doesn't.We all know the school is in the middle of nowhere and has friendly people but what is it really like? What about dorms,food, classes,competition,job placement,school spirit,fraternities etc.?In other words what makes this place worth a first choice.What is good and what is bad? I am also looking to find out about mid year transition experiences for potential January admission. Where are the students who love it and why and where are those who are disappointed and why?</p>

<p>I'm a freshman and currently in my second semester here at Geneseo. I was pretty ambivalent about coming here but glad I did. Facts...The classes I have taken have been filled with a lot of intelligent students (yes we do have our duds but there is an overwhelming about of smart kids attending here). Homework load is big, but doable. It is a very politically liberal college (sigh). In terms of dorms-the majority of first year students are placed in south village (a NICE WALK FROM THE ACADEMIC BUILDINGS-but keeps you in shape)-ideally you want to live on north/central campus (suites and corridor style-opt for a suite) which is closer to the academic buildings as well as the frats. Fraternities and sororities are a big thing on campus-i think they're are around 10 fraternities and you can find the majority if students at them on thursday/friday/saturday... Food is, well it's college food, enough said (not great, but not bad). IT IS IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE!!!! That's the real downside-wegmans and walmart are the "hotspots" on weekdays...I hope this was helpful</p>

<p>Thanks, Any information is helpful.</p>

<p>Is it possible to have an active social life without joining a frat?</p>

<p>wats the best dorm thats not full of people staying up madd late drinking and partying every nite?</p>

<p>Yes it is possible to have an active social life... there is life beyond the greek system. GLK Geneseo Late Knight has activities every weekend and yeah some of them are kinda dumb, but some are fun. I strongly strongly suggest you join clubs and organizations on campus, because otherwise you'll be miserable.</p>

<p>The quietest dorm is supposedly Wayne but it's the worst dorm in terms of location and size. Its like a cinderbox. And usually people are good about respecting quiet hours which are usually something like 11pm-7am on weekdays, and if people are being loud and obnoxious, you can ***** to the RA who will ***** at them ahaha. Ontario is pretty much a frat dorm, so you'll wanna avoid that.</p>

<p>Midyear transition... my friend transferred this spring from a CUNY and she found it difficult at first because everyone's pretty much made their friends but since she was placed into a suite she got to know her suitemates well and joined a sorority to boot lol.</p>

<p>Food... MJs has the best food (it's a la carte and the average meal will run you $5-6) but like all the places, the menu's pretty much rotated every week so you'll get bored of it all sooner or later.</p>

<p>only 10-12% of the campus are involved in the Greek system, so it's really easy to have an active social life without joining a frat.... most students do!</p>