Any advice on how to get the most out of a revisit day?

Any and all advice on how to get the most out of a revisit day in order to make an informed decision? Would love to hear any thoughts from those who have been through the process.

3 Likes

I haven’t been through this admissions process, but I would assume making sure you ask the right questions (especially to the students and parents of the school) is very important. They might offer insight and perspective that can be extremely useful in helping you make your choice.

Also, be present. Make sure you are attentive, listening, and soaking up everything you see and hear throughout your visit. It can either open your eyes to red flags or green lights.

1 Like

This question has answers at several levels. I’m assuming you are asking as a parent, so that’s where I’ll start.

First, look at the programming that’s being offered. If there are choices, be intentional about where you end up.

Second, if you have specific questions you want answered, make sure you get to the right forums/people for that. It is likely that a session on athletics will answer most of your questions for example, but if you want the ins and outs of whether you can be exempt from sport for a season to train with a local club team and how that’s coordinated, make sure you approach the AD while you are there.

Talk to current parents and students. And in particular, ask to be directed to parents who might have similar concerns, whether it’s how far you can commute as a day student, sports, etc. Also, ask open-ended question and listen careful to the answers. Questions like “how did you find the adjustment to being here your first year?” "What surprised you? What was the hardest part? How do you stay in touch with your kid/parents? What do you love most about this school? What kind of person thrives here? In many cases, these are the questions you were probably asking when you were visiting for tours/interviews, but this time round, you’re the buyer!

It is often worthwhile to understand how discipline works.

Students should pay attention to how they feel in the ckassroom, dinig hall, etc. Does this place feel clique-ish? Are these kids their tribe? Did anytime put them off? If anything goes “wrong” (person she’s shadowing has a test), how is it resolved? (Kids will likely resolve these things on their own.)

There are a lot of people who feel the decision is 100% up to the kid, and while I mostly agree with that, remember that at some point, you are likely to be at odds with the school about something. This is real life. When that happens, it’s really helpful if you believe in what they are doing and that they are good people.

So be present, listen carefully (not just for affirmation of what you think to be true), and enjoy!

3 Likes

For adults: we have found that parents with kids at the school tend to be the most forthright. Staff members often stick to a script, and everything with them is roses and honey. Kids are often there as part of a recruitment function, so they might not be completely objective.

Try and sit with School Parents at lunch and in between sessions. They usually tell it like it is. At least we do, as parents who have attended revisit days on behalf of schools in order to meet with prospective parents.

5 Likes

Athletic recruits will sometimes bring athletic gear, or shorts and athletic shoes. At times they’ll hop on the basketball, tennis, or squash court with team members just to fool around, and as the camaraderie starts to take shape.

Those musically inclined periodically jam, dying to try out some of the beautiful instruments.

I’ve seen kids play frisbee and throw the football around too, when they get bored of the sessions that are tailored for parents.

And parents - try to avoid asking the kinds of questions in public forums that provoke eye-rolls and embarrass your kids. Happens every year. It’s OK to not ask questions and just sit back and listen.

3 Likes

Hi there, I wanted to ask a question about international admitted students. My son has been accepted into Deerfield, Choate, and Hotchkiss, and we’re wondering if he needs to revisit any of these schools. For example, he has to fill out a form for spring revisit days at Deerfield. Is this required? Also, I would like to know if the school provides any travel packages or if we need to cover the cost ourselves as we’re way far from Deerfield. Thank you

1 Like

Revisit is not mandatory. I don’t think school will cover the expense of that is your question.

Colleges sometimes offer paid visits to selected students, mostly heavily recruited athletes or highly pursued individuals. Maybe the schools, given that they are very well funded, could offer some kind of reimbursement especially for financially challenged families. Never hurt to ask.

1 Like