Any disadvantages for applying late?

<p>just wondering if there are any advantages for applying early and if there are any disadvantages for applying late. it shouldn’t make much of a difference right? i’ve been swarmed with school and work lately, and just generally lazy whenever i get free time because i’ve been working so hard. im away this weekend but plan on getting my app in later on this week before the deadline. just wondering if i shot myself in the foot for waiting so long, or am i still good? it shouldn’t make a difference when you apply right?</p>

<p>There is no admission advantage to applying early. There is a potentially big disadvantage of waiting until the last minute, though. The application web site traditionally gets overwhelmed on November 30th and it becomes impossible to submit applications.</p>

<p>It would be a good idea to submit at least 3 days before the deadline to avoid server problems.</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>There can be a disadvantage applying later to CSU, but not UC. But as alamemom mentioned, don’t wait until Nov 30. The server WILL overload and crash.</p>

<p>^ Oh really? I heard from my college counselor that it depends on the campus. He said that UCSB, UCD, UCI, will look at the applications as they come in, while the top-tier UC will wait until the deadline.</p>

<p>I’m confused now, help >_></p>

<p>^I’m pretty sure your councilor is wrong.</p>

<p>Turning in applications after a deadline is definite NO. Start working on those applications ASAP. I know for most seniors, that everything is seems to just piling up at this time, but get those applications done. A few sleepless nights will be worth it when you get those acceptance letters! Good luck in getting into UCs! :]</p>

<p>If you apply late and something goes awry, you don’t have time to set it right. A teacher may have very few requests for recommendations early on, but may be swamped in December.</p>

<p>UCSD, UCSB, UCSC and UCD have an arithmetic formula to score every application and then they establish a cutoff value, offering admission to everyone at or above the cutoff. I mentioned only those as these are the ones where I know the mechanism they use. As far as I know, only UCB and UCLA work differently. However, at least two that your councillor mentioned definitely do not make decisions on early applications. </p>

<p>They can’t set the cutoff value until they have all the applications scored, as they pick the cutoff as the value that yields the desired number of admissions offers. You don’t know that distribution until all the entries are processed.</p>

<p>Whether they look and score you early or not, the decision is made after all are in and the time when your application shows up has no impact at all.</p>