Any experience with National Scholar Invitational?

It seems A&M has a series of 3 dates for a National Scholar Invitational which appears to be an over night visit of the campus during summer targetted at soon to be High School Seniors. I am not sure how new these offerings are, and wonder if anyone here has attended them in the past and what value you received from them.

My daughter did this back in 2011. I think she was invited to attend based on her expected future NMF semi-finalist status, but I’m not 100% sure. It was fun and she enjoyed it. She met some great kids. She did end up attending A&M and joining the honors program. It never hurts to get to know people at the school and let them get to know you, so you are more than stats on a page.

I think you are correct that potential NMF are the audience. If we can fit this in to oir schedule, we may go even yhough A and M is not one of his top targets right now. Thanks for the feedback.

@Debbie7452 or anyone else with knowledge… a follow up question on NMF opportunities for A&M:
The NMF scholarship offering is fairly straight forward. I am curious, though, what the “typical” additional scholarship opportunities are for NMF admits. I understand “typical” is both subjective and un-knowable …

For example, the literature indicates “National Merit scholars (semifinalists and finalists) will also compete for other freshman scholarship opportunities which are awarded in early January of the student’s senior year. These scholarships are able to be added to the guaranteed scholarships listed above.”

Might a student receive both the President’s Endowed Scholarship and National Merit Recognition for example? How common might that be?

Mine might not be typical as they don’t give many but he is receiving the Craig and Galen Brown Scholarship which gives him a combination of scholarships to pretty much cover tuition, room and board. He is extremely fortunate to have such a great opportunity.

@rosegeo
Congratulations with a capital C, that IS a fantastic way to start college.

I think there are a literal “handful” of those Brown scholarships. Not sure my S would be in the running for that level, even if he is fortunate enough to make the NMF cut.

My D was also a Brown Scholar. In addition she got the Presidents Endowed, National Merit Pkg, and a few more smaller ones. She was very fortunate! From the other Honors students who talked about scholarships with her(she never brought it up herself) her experience was not that typical.