Any feedback on Summer@Brown vs Wharton Finance summer camps

Hello,

We are looking into a few options for summer for our rising Sophomore who is strong at math and very interested in the stock market/investing.

Summer@Brown has an interesting class called “Financial Mathematics: Applications in Investment Analysis” and the Wharton summer program has “Essentials of Finance”. Could you please give us feedback if you have any experience with these two?

We are also open to other recommendations. The programs we are looking into don’t seem to be very selective, but many selective ones don’t seem to be available to rising Sophomores.

Thanks so much!

@Catcherinthetoast your thoughts?

1 Like

Thanks for the shout out but not familiar with those programs and don’t want to make it up.

I will tell you from experience that the dorms at Brown are very hot in the summer but the HS kids seem to love it. Very livable campus and proximity to a safe city for that age group.

My kid was an applied math major so likely can give me feedback on the professor if you can find the name.

Sorry I couldn’t help more.

1 Like

Thanks @thumper1 and @Catcherinthetoast for your help and for the campus info.

1 Like

I believe the Brown dorms all have a/c now….they talked a lot about it during D24’s brown pre college orientation last summer. But the caveat was that the in room fridge/microwave couldn’t be used while the a/c units were plugged in, so they had locks on them. Having said that, the dorm she was in was pretty awful, even with the a/c unit! But she loved her forensics class and really enjoyed the overall experience at Brown.

2 Likes

Thanks for the correction. My kid was last in a very hot Sears 4 years ago so I am dated.

2 Likes

My oldest LOVED her summer at Brown program and met lifelong friends there; loved the students, loved Brown, loved her professors, etc. It really expanded her horizons/worldview. But just know that these summer programs do not increase/help a student’s admissibility applying to schools. These summer programs are essentially Pay to Play and while they can be great experiences for a variety of reasons, understand that they don’t help students gain entrance to certain schools.

5 Likes

@cityran @Crosbylane Thanks so much for your feedback. Your feedback is really helpful for us.

We certainly agree with you about these camps not for college applications. We are mostly after interesting classes at this point.

Also, you may want to Google the faculty who teach these courses. I think they are not necessarily faculty associated with the hosting university, if that matters to you.

2 Likes

@MMRose That’s a great idea. We are going to look them up!

In addition to googling, check out ratemyprofessors.com