Any Freshman Honors Want to Host?

<p>Planning to take DD to Bama weekend of Nov. 2nd. for the Honors Preview Day on Nov. 4th. We are from New York. We loved so much about the school but DD didn’t meet a single out- of-state student on our first visit. Anyone know of any freshman Honors students from out-of-state who would be interested in letting DD stay with them on Sat. night? She’s a sweet, easy-going girl who makes friends easily. I would love her to see the school from a current student’s point of view. We’ve already done the tour and met with an advisor. </p>

<p>Also wondering if there is a football game that weekend? If so, how do I go about getting tickets? Is it even possible? Shows how much I know about football! LOL</p>

<p>TIA</p>

<p>Unfortunately that weekend is Fall Break and I imagine the campus will be pretty dead! There are no classes on Thursday or Friday, no home football game and a lot of my students’ OOS friends go home with other students. There will be OOS students on campus, but the atmosphere will be very different from a normal weekend. My son and his roommates plus their favorite room of girls are all OOS students, but all have plans for the weekend.</p>

<p>I hate that for your DD as she will not get the full effect of the Bama charm. Maybe there are some CC members on here whose OOS daughters are staying on campus.</p>

<p>Peachtide: Thanks so much for letting me know. Had no idea it was Fall Break! The Honors Preview Day is Monday the 4th, but we were hoping DD could see/experience the campus on a weekend as we did not have the opportunity to do that on our first visit. Wondering if there will be other Honors Preview Days. Our postcard had 4 dates and Nov. 4th was the last.</p>

<p>Hi there, my daughter and her good friend are both attending UA as honors freshman. They are dorming together in Ridgecrest South and they also both got into the same sorority! We are from Nassau County Long Island and they both went to public high school there. Unfortunately they will both be home that weekend so they will not be around. I am sure my daughter would love to email or facebook inbox your daughter so feel free to PM me for her contact information. My daughter absolutely loves UA and so does her friend. Incidentally, I know of a few girls from Carle Place and surrounding areas that are going to UA next year. There are a good number of New Yorkers and tri-staters there and the University does a great job of getting them together. Though, I must say that because there are so many out of state students there my daughter never feels like an outsider. She does say they find her accent cute and ask her to talk all the time. LOL.</p>

<p>^^^Folks from Long Island have an accent? Huh, never noticed!!</p>

<p>Another issue with staying with a girl, at least one who is in a sorority, is that there are very strict rules about hosting high school seniors overnight who could be candidates for recruitment in the fall. It is my understanding that this is against the recruitment rules and could earn the host’s sorority a recruitment violation (but I am not completely up to date on all the rules) – so parents before volunteering your sorority freshman as a host, do be sure that she can actually do this without getting her sorority in trouble with Panhellenic.</p>