any on else transfering to UW madison Spring '09

<p>Well, I’ve applied and sent all my requited transcripts and what not for the Spring of '09 and really looking forward. I should be coming in as a Junior or a Junior/Senior into Mechanical Engineering. Just have a couple of questions if someone can help me out</p>

<li><p>How long does it take admissions to make a decision? I know it does range, but in specific, how long did it take them to make a decision for you?</p></li>
<li><p>Anyone has a rough estimate on how many people apply for the Spring semesters? (just wondering because on their site it says depends on capacity)</p></li>
<li><p>Any transfer students out there know how UW treats the transfer credits in general? Are they lenient or do they tend to be a strict?</p></li>
</ol>

<p>Any other comments/suggestions from transfer students are appreciated</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>I've heard that UW treats transfer credits very strictly.</p>

<p>Finally, after 66 views, 1 reply. </p>

<p>Madison85: Do you happen to know anyone who transferred and he/she wasn't happy with what credits has been transferred?</p>

<p>I don't have any recent experience, but the general impression from what I hear is that people are usually disappointed in how their credits transfer.</p>

<p>Undergraduates - Transfer Student Admission:</p>

<p>Undergraduate</a> Admissions at the University of Wisconsin-Madison</p>

<p>Transfer Students - Expectations:</p>

<p><a href="http://www.admissions.wisc.edu/images/UW_TransferExpectations.pdf%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.admissions.wisc.edu/images/UW_TransferExpectations.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Email address:</p>

<p><a href="mailto:transfer@admissions.wisc.edu">transfer@admissions.wisc.edu</a></p>

<p>you better get in touch with transfer person at the engineering department. If you are serious about getting transferred to UW tell them in your email with your transcript.
I send them a very detailed email with all crdit courses I took, and they have been very helpful to me. Actually they made a comment on every single course.</p>

<p>cmelan: i take it you got in contact with them AFTER you got your acceptance regarding the details of each course. Are you in engineering? How many credits got transferred and how many were left out?</p>

<p>No, I think they're lenient with credits. I came in with 45 from AP. I'm in engineering and the only thing you might be disappointed with is how little the credits help you though (besides giving you junior standing, etc.....). Engineering has a strict curriculum. You can test out of English and that's about it.</p>

<p>kevinscool: so what ur saying is, they most likely would transfer, but would not benefit u in the fact that they would not get transfered into an engineering course and instead maybe electives?</p>

<p>Im not sure how much my aps have helped me with like liberal credits and stuff (i think i got out of them) but engineering is still pretty strict from what i can tell. You're going to need math, physics, engineering courses, chemistry, etc...... I didn't really get to pick my first semester classes. They basically forced calc, intro to engineering, and chem onto me</p>

<p>I believe the transfer process is a rolling process so the sooner you submit your application in, the quicker you will find out if you are accepted. If you are attending another UW University or 2 year college in the state of Wisconsin, most general education classes will transfer. Please review this site: UW</a> Transfer Information System | Course Wizard | Set-Up Your Transfer Schools</p>

<p>In some schools, you have to apply into the UW as well as the school of interest so there are two separate applications. I will look to see if that is the case for the School of Engineering as well. I found this helpful site: Off-Campus</a> Transfers</p>

<p>I will also suggest looking at living arrangements right away. There are tons of sublets posted on craigslist: madison</a> sublets & temporary classifieds - craigslist. It'd be great to live close to your engineering classes and if you are interested in that I'd focus on the far west side of campus (by Camp Randall). The neighborhoods behind Regent St. are nice as well as the Spring St/Randall St. area (I used to live there). Dorms (private and public) are also in turnover--if that's what you're interested in I'd make contact now so you're at least on a list. I'd also keep an eye out for clubs/orgs you are interested in--they usually do another round of informational meetings at the start of spring semester. Hope this was helpful! Good luck!</p>

<p>UWBadgerette: Thnx for your input. Application wise, i think i'm all set. Spoke to the transfer dept @ engineering, n i should be good to go. </p>

<p>Regarding accommodation; dorms, doubt I'd wanna go there. I'm not sure of street names and locations, but I'll be googling what you mentioned. I started looking @ sublets a while back but now since you specified for me the locations, i'll focus on those I guess. You know if fully furnished 1br appartments would be available in general in madison and what price frame am I looking at?</p>

<p>thnx again.</p>

<p>There are definitely plenty of furnished units available in Madison. Different kinds of management offer furnished units--there are a few I know of in that area. I'm not sure what kind of apartment/amenities you are looking for but most of them you should be able to find online. </p>

<p>A single unit in Madison runs fairly expensive. Starting at 400/month for studios/one bdrm to 700+. Most apartments in Madison include heat but is usually controlled by the management. Then you have to think about a cable/internet bill that you can't split amongst roommates either. I will start with Craigslist and see how you can negotiate--it's likely you can talk the price down because the semester turnover is a tough one. Good luck!</p>

<p>Great to hear you're all set with your application!!! Please keep us updated!!!</p>