Any OOS students headed home for fall break

<p>My son wants to come home over fall break. I have a sheet from the university about the shuttle times. It looks like they are running that Thursday afternoon starting at 1PM. I was hoping to get him to the airport and on a flight way before that. Is anyone else’s kids flying home? I know you can get a private limo. I guess I just thought the shuttle times were weird. I thought they might have one on Wednesday afternoon or at least early Thursday morning. </p>

<p>We live in Richmond Virginia. I guess I’m just thinking out loud:)</p>

<p>I’m also confused as to why there is not an earlier shuttle for fall break, but am most likely staying on campus unless I can find a really cheap flight somewhere interesting.</p>

<p>Has your son joined the Roll Tide Rideshare facebook group? He might be able to find a ride that way.</p>

<p>I’m going home for fall break, but I’m flying out of Jackson Wednesday evening. Much cheaper tix on southwest.</p>

<p>we have taken advantage of that, too, mesquitegirl. : )</p>

<p>my daughter will be heading to the airport (birmingham) … i think her flight is wed. at 5. if that fits with your time schedule, she might be able to give your son a ride. i think when she gives other kids rides, the rider usually chips in half of gas and half of parking.</p>

<p>SEA_Tide…</p>

<p>Is there someone you can ask about the shuttle schedule? I can’t help but think that the shuttle schedule would get changed/adjusted if they got enough complaints/requests.</p>

<p>The Thursday shuttle schedule leaves a lot to be desired. Our son is flying out Wednesday night at 6:30 from Birmingham, but I don’t know if he has already made plans to get to the airport.</p>

<p>I am hoping when SW starts flying from BWI to Atlanta next year costs will go down. I think the flights are kind of high from BWI to Birmingham.</p>

<p>I thought I saw an 8am shuttle added to the Thursday schedule. Too late for us. Already bought ticket based on the 1pm, unfortunately. It’s expensive to do all this flying, but DD probably won’t want to come home a lot next year.</p>

<p>SeaTide - He did sign up for the Ride Share through faceboook. He just ahsn’t looked into it yet.</p>

<p>Thanks for the offer of a ride to the airport. Might have to follow up on that. I have not booked any flights as I wanted to be sure when he could actually come home. Still waiting to hear if band is definitely cancelled that Wednesday. My son will not miss that.</p>

<p>I really appreciate all your ideas. I guess I was just looking to vent because of the shuttle times. Time to seriously start looking into brining my fella home.</p>

<p>^ just FYI, lots of kids (especially OOS) will be staying so if you decide on that your DS will be no means be alone :)</p>

<p>Whenever I’ve asked Housing about scheduling shuttle times that correspond with flight departures, I’m always told that nobody else has commented that the shuttle times are inconvenient. After the tornado, students were lucky that the airport shuttles were being coordinated by Transportation Services, which was much more willing to add new shuttle times based on demand, such as having a shuttle that left UA at 4:00 am.</p>

<p>*I’m always told that nobody else has commented that the shuttle times are inconvenient. *</p>

<p>Well, that’s how being part of a popular board can make some noise…lol</p>

<p>If others here think the shuttle times aren’t varied enough, then who do they contact?</p>

<p>Juniebug is right. There is an 8AM shuttle on Thursday morning. I just looked at the page from housing and saw it had been added. I’m not sure when that happened. I’ve been looking at a sheet I think I received at Bama Bound or when my son moved into the dorm. I’m also not sure who to contact to ask if one could be added late on Wednesday.</p>

<p>AL34- I think my son may want to come home for fall break as he will be there over Thanksgiving. With his committment to the band we really can’t get him home too easy that weekend. He has to be back Friday for the game on Saturday.</p>

<p>I’ll talk to him again. He seems to be having so much to do maybe when he hears others are staying he will change his mind. But than again, I would really like to see him. Having him home is not the same as seeing him parents weekend. I am looking forward to that.</p>

<p>^Last year DS didn’t come home until Christmas break. We definitely missed him but in really thinking about it the travel hassle might not be worth being home for just a few days.
Not sure about this year, guess I should look at the calendar…</p>

<p>hokiefan - I know where you’re coming from, last year left DS Aug. 8 and would not see him again until 12/11 (earliest - didn’t see until 14th, he diverted to NY to see grandparents). That last month was the hardest, ON ME, anyone mentioned his name resulted in tears. Oh yeah, DS was FINE. Swore I wouldn’t do that again, well he won’t be home for either again, DS questions the hassle. I think with the varied OOSs at UA there’s always people around.</p>

<p>lil bro is not coming home for fall break. He has decided though to miss one of each of his classes and come home the weekend before Thanksgiving. </p>

<p>Delta had a great fare sale going on and he was able to get a roundtrip ticket from B’ham to Philly for $267 leaving the Friday night before Thanksgiving and going back the Saturday after Thanksgiving. </p>

<p>He double checked with his profs and he has no tests scheduled on either the Mon or Tue that he’ll miss class.</p>