Any recommendations on ordering ahead

<p>I don’t know if it is always the case but last year at the early AA move-in I dropped H & S off with initial carload. While they took stuff up I went to Target and picked up some more stuff and perishables (this could be your Paty stop - please note at Paty student needed to show ID) and came back (all within the same hour time slot). They let me pull up again (I phoned H and they came down) and we unloaded second batch. Each student was allowed up to 2 cars, so I guess the 2nd visit was counted as such.</p>

<p>A bit of advice to the moms/dads of incoming freshmen: Pack all the stuff your student thinks he or she needs. Then, take one half of it out of the suitcases, boxes, etc. </p>

<p>It will not be needed.</p>

<p>My son overpacked his freshman year. Too many t-shirts, shorts, etc. Then, he got a bunch of free t-shirts from things on campus. The past two years, he’s brought home lots of stuff he no longer wears.</p>

<p>Students can do just as well with less. That’s why there is a washing machine and dryer in the dorm. </p>

<p>All of this has been a great life lesson for my younger son, who is just a high school sophomore. He says that he does not want a ton of stuff when he goes to college. My job is to keep him thinking that way!</p>

<p>Thanks for the advice about picking up packages/move in.</p>

<p>I’m not quite sure what would work best for me; I’m going to have a very large, heavy package to pick up from Walmart, as well as about 5-10 packages to pick up from Paty (these range from things like a bookcase, which I would like to have when I first move my stuff in so that I can figure out furniture arrangements, to posters, which I could wait and pick up some other day.) We’re renting a small SUV, which will have four large suitcases in it, so not sure how much room that will leave – hopefully some.</p>

<p>After our move in time, what’s the closest we’ll be able to park to the dorm (Riverside West)? I’m thinking my best bet might be to move in all the boxes during my move in time, then go pick up suitcases from the hotel room (Capstone) – since they’re on wheels, they should not be too difficult to bring even if we have to walk a bit, and they just contain clothes which aren’t essential to room set up.</p>