any STUDENTS on this board to answer questions?

<p>This board seems to be dominated by parents. Can any students give insights into any of the following:</p>

<p>How feasible is it to do a research paper on the bloc plan? </p>

<p>Does the campus empty out every weekend when people go off to the mountains? Would a person who is not into sports--really not into sports--feel like a fish out of water? </p>

<p>How conservative is the town itself and how hostile or friendly to students at CC?</p>

<p>How much liberal/left-wing activism is there among CC students?</p>

<p>What are the dorms like? </p>

<p>How much diversity (race, ethnicity, class, religion) is there at CC?</p>

<p>Hey...sorry I didn't repsond to this sooner. I've been incredibly busy all week and finally have some time to breathe since it's Friday afternoon!</p>

<p>Research paper - Well...this pretty much completely depends on the class, the professor, how much time you are given, how long it needs to be, etc. I mean, it's usually fine, but it's definitely tight. If you get started right away, you shouldn't have any problems, and the professors are always more than willing to help out if you have any questions.</p>

<p>Weekends - No, you would definitely be fine. A lot of people do ski/snowboard on weekends but plenty of kids don't as well! Trust me, I have friends here that aren't that into sports and they're jsut fine.</p>

<p>Colorado Springs - Well, it's pretty conservative. In my experience here, I haven't really run into a lot of townies, so I don't really know if they're particularly hostile towards students. I'm sure some are, but it's not really that big of a deal. I go downtown a couple times a block and I've never had a problem with the people here. </p>

<p>CC students are pretty liberal and I can imagine that someone with very conservative views might feel uncomfortable sometimes.</p>

<p>Dorms - it completely depends. Next year freshmen and sophomores will be living in Slocum, Loomis, and Mathias (Slocum and Loomis used to be only freshmen, meanwhile Mathias was all sophomores). I live in Slocum now and it's quite nice for a college dorm. I'm in a massive double, seriously, we could easily have a third person living in here. The singles, however, are tiny. In Loomis it's the opposite, doubles are small and singles are large. I haven't spent a lot of time in Loomis, but I think it's pretty nice. I've never really been into Mathias (aside from the main lobby), but I've heard nothing but terrible things about it...not exactly sure what is so bad about it. Upperclassmen can live in small houses, language houses, or the apartments, which are really nice.</p>

<p>Diversity - Uh yeah we're pretty lacking in the diversity department. Definitely a lot of liberal upper-middle class white suburbia kids. The one thing about the student body is that kids come from all over the country as opposed to the New England liberal arts colleges that are full of upper-middle class white kids that are all from New England/New York suburbs. For the most part, however, students are very accepting (although we have had some issues regarding this earlier in the year). </p>

<p>Hope this helps!</p>

<p>Thanks so much for all of this information.
One more question...
Can you elaborate on the "issues" regarding diversity that came up earlier this year?</p>

<p>Well we had an incident where kids dressed up in blackface for a party (I think it was 1st or 2nd block) which upset a lot of people on campus. There was also an incident where someone wrote on the office door of an openly gay RLC "enjoy aids". Now bear in mind, these are just a few (most likely drunk) individuals and they definitely do not represent the entirety of the campus. We had a sit in in front of one of the dorms in December to protest these incidents, and tons of kids showed up to support the cause and show that they were not okay with the actions of these kids.</p>

<p>For the most part, diversity is embraced, especially the GLBT population. I have tons of amazing friends that don't fit the "average" student stereotype of white and rich, all of which are perfectly happy at CC. Unfortunately, you'll run into lack of diversity (as well as some intolerance, sad as that may be) at any expensive private school.</p>