Any thoughts on the honors program?

<p>I've read the entire website on it, but have heard good and bad anecdotes about it. Does anyone know how strong it truly is, esp. compared to other colleges? Are the classes a lot harder/better than non-honors? Any info would be great!
I was actually a bit surprised to get accepted because of my gpa... guess it must have been activities/essays which is nice because that is how I define myself.</p>

<p>I think UW has tried to keep the Honors program somewhat lowkey for two reasons: to avoid anything that smacks of elitism and the feelng that a good school really should not have to have special programs as all the programs should be good and high quality.</p>

<p>For the engineering department there really is no honors program at all since they say the curriculum is already difficult enough. When I was there, they did mention that there were a few engineering honors classes though, but not very many.</p>

<p>I'm college of letters and sciences-engineering isn't really my thing :D</p>

<p>I think having some smaller and faster paced intro classes is worth getting into the HP for. Also looks very good an diploma and to grad schools. But don't expect many other perks as some places have. Many also like the ILS program.</p>

<p>ILS</a> .: program</p>

<p>You can join it later if not initially, there are honors classes, especially useful for math, physics and chemistry intro classes plus honors sections, work in regular classes. Got my Honors degree, chemistry major eons ago. The senior thesis is worthwhile as were classes. Now they have activities, check the website. You can get the weekly e-mail without being a student, much listed on it. Worth it to get the most out of your education.</p>

<p>Thank you for the useful information everyone! If anyone else is wondering, a friend of a friend who is currently at Madison shared this (the condensation of several quotes) information with me on the honors program over facebook:</p>

<p>
[quote]
I'm in the honors progarm right now and I would recommend the honors program. As far as I know, all you have to do is take one honors class a semester (or you can select an optional 'take for honors'). When you pick your major you can do it for honors if you're in this program, otherwise, you have to have above a certain gpa. You also special advisers which can be nice when you're picking classes, but I haven't gone to them. People say that they're not useful at all. Also, at the beginning of the year, they mail you this book and you get to meet the author and talk about it with other honors students. I'd say it's worth it, if for nothing else, it looks good when you graduate or if your'e going on to graduate school. [Classes are] not much harder. Last semester I had to write an extra paper for my anthropology class and my chemistry class automatically counted for honors credit. This semester I'm taking a spanish class that's a honors level that's not too bad. I'm also in a poli sci seminar that only honors students can be in and it's really awesome.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Classes not being that hard may mean the student is very capable/smart... do not be afraid to go for the most rigorous courses.</p>