Any thoughts on University of Memphis?

Does anyone have experience with this university or know anything about it? My son (as you may know :slightly_smiling_face:) is into jazz and contemporary music, and we are looking for that elusive school:

jazz performance with other contemporary possibilities/flexibility
in a music city, with possible connections to the industry
good scholarship money; he can’t go without enough

It looks like this school’s Industry degree actually includes lots of performance, which he would prefer: ensembles, private jazz lessons, etc. A minor is required to get the “industry” portion of the degree, and it seems like students get some real-world experience. They kind of imply on their website that they have good music money to give.

Do any of you know if that’s accurate? And do they give good scholarships? Thanks for any knowledge you can share.

I visited the University of Memphis for work last year and was really impressed with their campus and a lot of their student success initiatives. I can’t speak to their music programs in particular but the university recently got R1 status and is having a lot of success in many areas right now. I would also check out MTSU, which is in Murfreesboro and very close to Nashville. I have heard great things about their music program and they also seem strong in music industry/business and students have a lot of internship and job options in Nashville.

5 Likes

My older son goes to MTSU, which has a world-class audio production program (he’s a computer science major minoring in audio). My younger son wants to go to one of the Northeast conservatories, but he’s applied to MTSU and other state schools as well because we’re not wealthy people! My husband knows the head of the piano program, who has a degree from Eastman, and says he’s a really sweet guy and has a great reputation. I don’t know much more about the music program, but they have a great recording industry degree program.

4 Likes

Good point about the recording industry program. That program has a great national reputation!

2 Likes