Any UA scholarships stack with NMF?

Hello UA experts. Are there any scholarships through UA that stack with the NMF package? Also, if a student on NMF package finishes undergrad in less than 4 years, can the value of the remaining semesters of undergrad housing be applied to graduate housing? Thank you.

Hello! Did you ever get an answer to this question or insight from your student’s own experience? We are curious about this too as we have an UA NMF student and she would be able to complete undergrad in 3 years, but we wouldn’t want her to lose the 4th year of Housing and the 4th year of Stipend $. Let me know. Thanks!

We learned that the housing and stipend end as soon as they finish their first undergraduate degree.

1 Like

Is there a way to extend her undergraduate degree so she doesn’t actually graduate? Also, external scholarships do stack with the NMF package.

My understanding is that the best way is to hold back a required class until your final semester (I did this way back when I was in college to preserve my scholarship). So long as you have not met the requirements to graduate, you can’t. No Alabama scholarships stack with the NMF (I can now state this with certitude).

Actually, there are some UA scholarships that do stack with the NMF package. My daughter was awarded a Randall Research Scholars Fellowship, and that stacked. Additionally, the scholarships awarded by the Honors College will stack. I confirmed this with both the Honors College and with the financial aid/scholarships office (they mentioned this at Bama Bound). From we have gathered, scholarships that are not funded at the university level will stack.

Departmental scholarships are replaced by the NMF package and do not stack.

2 Likes

Do you know how many people get RRS fellowships? What’s the criteria for distributing them?

No idea, and no idea. I did not even know that the RRS fellowship was a thing until my DD was awarded one. I have talked to other RRS parents whose students also got fellowships, but none of us have any idea how our students were selected.

@tsbna44 do you know about the RRS fellowships, and the Alabama policies on stacking financial aid…now (since this thread is old)?

There was discussion on the UA NM Facebook group about the Randall Fellowships stacking with the National merit scholarships. This was this past spring. My son didn’t do Randall Research so I don’t have first hand knowledge but just looked up the discussion. Everyone agreed they do stack. I haven’t seen anything recently with bills being paid that indicates the were unhappy surprises.

1 Like

My daughter is on the NMF scholarship at UA and received a RRS fellowship. I can confirm that they stacked last year and continue to stack this year. The fellowship is good for up to 8 semesters (as long as she remains in the RRS program).

Some departmental scholarships (but not all) stack. I personally know of two people with stacking departmental scholarships - one in biology and one in math. If the scholarship is funded by the university, it will not stack. If it is funded by an individual (or an individual department), it will stack. It is not always obvious if it will stack, so my daughter just asks.

2 Likes

I think I’m the stacking biology departmental scholarship that you are referring to :wink:

My daughter was also able to stack 2 outside merit scholarships. I know the engineering departmental scholarship also stacks.

Overall they are very generous with the stacking.

As far as the Randall fellowships, I think they give out less than 5 a year (out of approx 40 Randall kids each year). It is not something that it publicized so nobody really knows the criteria.

The engineering scholarship does not stack with NMF. From this page: Scholarships – College of Engineering | The University of Alabama

Thanks for correcting that! I was misremembering :slight_smile: