Any vacation rental suggestions for Aug.?

<p>Will spend several days in Tuscaloosa prior to moving D in for OA, thinking we might like a house or condo/apt rental vs. a hotel. Any suggestions? And/or can anyone comment on if the condos at University Downs or Harbrooke were hit by the tornados? Have noticed some vacation rentals at these locations on VRBO; thinking if they are posted all is OK but since we are not that familiar with the area appreciate any input. Thank You!</p>

<p>We stayed at the Home Town Suites. They have a lot of different size/type of rooms. Our room had one bedroom, one bathroom, living room and a full kitchen. They’re pretty reasonably priced. Take a look on Priceline. I think they’re located pretty close to the tornado’s path, but I believe they were not damaged. Maybe someone more familiar with the area could answer that.</p>

<p>I think a place like Home Town Suites would work well, but I imagine that many of these kind of places (rentals and suites hotels with kitchens) are now occupied with those who have been displaced or with those involved with disaster relief. </p>

<p>[Home-Towne</a> Suites - Tuscaloosa, AL](<a href=“http://www.htshotel.com/AL/Tuscaloosa.html]Home-Towne”>http://www.htshotel.com/AL/Tuscaloosa.html)</p>

<p>We stayed for a few days at the Home Towne Suites when we visited son over Thanksgiving break and was quite happy with our experience. We were upgraded to a 2 bedroom (1 king, 1 queen), 2 full bath, completely furnished kitchen, small sitting area (with sofa bed), dinette area, whirlpool suite. There were two flat screen TVs and free WiFi. The place was clean and completely renovated.</p>

<p>University Downs suffered some minor damage (broken windows and such) to a few buildings, but nothing major. </p>

<p>I really have no idea how the place was spared from ruin. The tornado literally passed by a few feet from the complex. Everything in front of it and to the east of it was destroyed. Yet somehow it escaped virtually unscathed</p>

<p>lil bro was happy to hear the property was ok as that’s where he’ll be living next year.</p>

<p>Thank you all so much, I heard back from the rental at UD, it is available. I will compare prices/accommodations and availability with Home Towne Suites. As always you are all such a good source of information! I have suggested CC to other parents with kids going to other schools and have cked out some of their sites. UA is definitely one of the most/if not the most active and informative thanks to all of you.</p>

<p>Bumping this thread…anyone have any comments on the studio part. </p>

<p>I know the suite part is nicer and newer but they don’t allow pets in those rooms. Considering booking here for August move in.</p>