Anyone accepted for petroleum engineering....

<p>.... care to comment on your high school credentials, etc? I saw in another post that many of the more competitive engineering majors fill up early during the admission season. I assume that includes PE. Just curious, for anyone who wants to comment: what were your GPA, SAT, extracurriculars? Did you meet with anyone in the PE department? How early did you apply? Thanks.</p>

<p>I believe it filled up at the beginning of November. so if you’re not automatic it’ll be hard to get in.</p>

<p>It’s not so much having good credentials as it just getting in early enough. You don’t need to be a superstar to do petroleum, it just fills up quickly.</p>

<p>Thanks for the input. So that leads to the following question: we don’t live in Texas, so DS does not qualify for top 10%; he may not qualify for academic admit since HS does not give out class rank; can you be a review admit to TAMU by October/November if you apply in August, or is it unlikely? Thx. JR</p>

<p>it’s unlikely because they accept all the automatic admits first. a lot of well qualified review admits here back in December and Januaray. I qualified for academic auto admit because of my ACT score in December so I didn’t get into petroleum engineering. but a&m does place you in a class rank that they decide based on your grades if your school doesn’t rank. I’m not sure how this process goes though. just make sure you apply as early as you can; it can only help you.</p>

<p>My son was admitted into petroleum engineering at both UT and A&M. He has strong SATs, particularly in math, as well as a number of APs, etc. He is in-state and top % of his large public high school. We applied early, too.</p>

<p>Anxious: Thanks for the input. Did your son have any background/family experience/interviews with faculty/etc that he cited as a reason to go into PE? Do you even need to list a reason you want to get into PE, or do you get accepted into TAMU/Look based on scholastic record and then they assign you to the department you want if there are openings? I feel pretty comfortable that DS will get accepted into TAMU engineering (strong SATs, good GPA, probably NMF) but I’m worried that it will be a regular admit (because HS does not rank students) and acceptance will happen after PE is filled.</p>

<p>x1: Since you did not get accepted in time to get place in PE, have you explored the possibility/likelihood that you would be able to transfer into PE at a later time?</p>

<p>yeah I did get into electrical engineering so I’m still in the engineering school and I plan to transfer to PE as soon as I can. When I went in to talk to the department, the guy said only like 50% of the people requesting a transfer into PE actually get it. He told me I basically need to just do good in my basic engineering classes (like a 3.5 gpa) and I’ll most likely get in. But also some people drop out of PE because of the difficulty which just leaves more spots open. So basically, from what I understand, its not impossible but it’s not easy.</p>

<p>jroback, I believe acceptance is based on academic record. In my son’s case, being a resident of Texas and in the top echelon of his class, he was automatically admitted into the universities, where he subsequently was offered admission into his top choice. Incidentally, he is going to UT, so there will be one open spot at A&M :)</p>