Anyone care to discuss internship and coop opportunities at UA?

DS is a freshman this year, doing the first class in Emerging Scholars this semester. Co-op is out for Fall of Sophomore year due to the Emerging Scholars research portion of the class. When would be the best time to start a co-op??? Spring Sophomore, Summer after Sophomore or Fall of Junior year? Is there a rotations schedule online anywhere?

For housing, since the student is living on campus one semester and out of town one semester, would it be better to try to stay in on campus housing as long as possible to avoid having to sublease the apartment?

Certainly remaining in the dorms is much easier to avoid the issue of a sublease. For us, this wasn’t an option as my son wanted to live with his friends for the semesters he is on campus. This meant an apartment, and the eventual sublease issue…which has worked out fine, but it is a consideration to take into account.

Typically the company offering the co-op job will tell the student when they are starting. I believe the student has input prior to all interviews as to when he or she would like to start, but ultimately the rotation is laid out in the offer letter from the company.

My son began summer after sophomore year. The Co-operative Education site thru UA definitely has great info.

DD does not want to do a coop because she wants to get out in 4 years (EE Math double major). She is a sophomore doing a long distance internship right now and will be heading to Dallas for the summer in house portion. She went to the engineering career fair this fall and found the opportunity. There were many companies at the fair looking for summer interns. Coops are not the only avenue for gaining work experience.