Anyone doing Study Abroad or Overseas AA after Finals?

<p>Another poster mentioned that her D was doing Alabama Action (AA) in Belize after the semester ends.</p>

<p>My son is doing the AA in Costa Rica in May. </p>

<p>Who else is doing a study abroad or AA abroad this summer??</p>

<p>No, but I have a question about AA abroad. Would doing AA abroad twice satisfy the overseas requirement for IHP? Or would AA abroad plus one summer session overseas do it? I’m confused by that requirement.</p>

<p>I would email Dr. Fran Oneal about that. I believe that the IHP req’t is being tweaked to make it easier to fulfill. </p>

<p><a href=“mailto:foneal@ua.edu”>foneal@ua.edu</a></p>

<p>I meant to give more info about AA Costa Rica…</p>

<p>Still Time to Choose Alabama Action–Costa Rica, UH 101-870 </p>

<p>This course (CRN: 19192) will meet once a week during the spring semester for an hour and forty-five minutes, and will consist of a combination of lectures and discussions that will ultimately culminate in a trip to Costa Rica. Lecture topics will include a variety of topics such as Economic Development in Costa Rica, History and Politics of Costa Rica, Costa Rican Culture and Customs, and Servant Leadership in a Global Society. Discussions will be based on the materials presented in each lecture, and all students will be expected to actively participate in each class.</p>

<p>Upon completion of the semester, students taking the course will travel to Costa Rica for 10 days to create a school library for children in the Talamanca region. Students will stay with host families, interact with children at the school, and meet daily to discuss their experiences while maintaining a journal throughout the duration of the trip. Student grades will be distributed based upon class participation, an end-of-semester paper, and an end-of-trip journal. (The trip itself will be coordinated through a partnership with the Community Service Center, and has an estimated cost of $1500—dependent upon the number of students enrolled.) Instructor: Wahnee Sherman. FOR MORE INFORMATION, CONTACT: Trey Johnson at trey.johnson@gmail dot com</p>

<p>Yes, my daughter is doing the AA Belize trip. She wanted to do Costa Rica but couldn’t meet the Spanish requirement. Although she is just as thrilled to going to Belize as well. She is a travel junkie. I’m excited for her although it does delay her trip home and I haven’t seen her since January 8th!</p>

<p>beth’s mom: My son did Alabama Action Abroad in Costa Rica twice and then studied last summer in Belgium. He told me the other night that, despite his time overseas, he did not meet the IHP requirement.</p>

<p>This summer, he is not studying abroad, per se, but he will definitely learn a great deal as he works for NOAA in American Samoa for nine weeks. Since he loves to travel, I’m sure that he will find a way to see other lands of the Pacific, too.</p>

<p>momreads - did your son not meet the overseas requirement, or did he not meet other IHP requirements? If two AA Abroads and a summer isn’t enough, my D won’t even bother, because there’s no way she’s doing to do a full semester abroad and probably not two full summer sessions, either. The shorter (and less expensive) AA trips are much more likely.</p>

<p>Below is info from a prior posting from Sea_tide about IHP requirements. I think they are still as he notes; if anyone knows differently please post:
If you already have or are planning to study abroad and take 2+ years of foreign language, the other requirements needed to graduate from IHP are quite easy to fit into your schedule. If however, you were not planning on studying abroad for 10+ weeks and earning 6+ credits while doing so, you would not be completing IHP’s study abroad requirement.</p>

<p>D is doing the Oxford Program/4wks this summer, hoping to do a math program or internship next summer either in the US or Canada. Then she plans to do 6 or more weeks after Jr. Year in China/she’s minoring in Chinese. With 6 or more weeks in China (we see many of the undergrad summer scholarship programs to China are 8-9weeks) plus the 4 wks in Oxford she should be able to meet the 10wk requirement. She wanted to wait to go back to China (went in H.S. on a U.S. Dept. of State scholarship but can’t count that) once she has completed her minor/is more fluent. She is not able to travel during the semester either because of athletics but thinks she should be able to meet the 10 wk requirement with the two summers. She will earn 6 credits at Oxford this summer.</p>

<p>The wording for IHP states: Study abroad (minimum 2 summers or 1 semester and 6 credits earned while overseas) so I’d think the two programs that your S participated in would be enough. But there is the 4 semester language requirement…</p>

<p>This is the page with the current IHP requirements: <a href=“http://honors.cbhp.ua.edu/uploads/forms/Current%20Students/Snapshot%20of%20Policies%20and%20Procedures.pdf[/url]”>http://honors.cbhp.ua.edu/uploads/forms/Current%20Students/Snapshot%20of%20Policies%20and%20Procedures.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;