Anyone get surprising decisions?

<p>I was really surprised that I got rejected from UCSC.</p>

<p>UC GPA:3.42
SAT I:1620
SATII:580/490</p>

<p>I looked at the admission profile for Fall 2008 and I thought I was good. (80% of students with a 3.33-3.69 were accepted)</p>

<p>Then I looked at the bigger picture and I can understand why: I still got an a D and F in precalc junior year.I'm still going to appeal though.If it doesn't go through I guess my choice is between Riverside and Merced.</p>

<p>Has there been any people in the past that have had successful appeals? I know you shouldn't look to appeal if you have nothing new to add...but is getting a 4.3 1st semester of my senior year a good enough reason to appeal?I also became eligible for CSF for the first time.</p>

<p>Well, UCSC doesn't leave any spots open for appeals. I think there is like, a 1% chance you will be successful. I don't know if senior grades can work for your appeal, but really, it doesn't hurt to try. </p>

<p>Also, look over your application for ANYTHING you may have put in wrong...that will strengthen your appeal.</p>

<p>Furthermore, I would suggest coming up with a heartfelt explanation for your D and F...make them cry!!! ..but at the same time, DONT make yourself seem like a victim. Just talk about how you did your best and tried really hard and although you have always excelled in academics, failing precalculus helped you to understand people who constantly struggle in school and you can somewhat relate. Also, tell them you will retake it over the summer in CC..and maybe they will offer you admission if you pass it. They'll eat it up. </p>

<p>Good luck. Let me know how it goes!!</p>