Anyone heard about Merit $$$?

<p>Not that I deserve it, but does Wisconsin offer Merit aid at the time of acceptance...later...or after maybe someone has gotten accepted into the honors program?</p>

<p>Most of the other EA schools have threads about Merit aid and schlorships...but not UWM</p>

<p>Any insight? Received Honors invite today, will apply if I don't get into 1st choice school ED...will that help the chance of getting merit money, or would I know by now if money was being offered?</p>

<p>I looked up merit scholarships for out-of-state freshman on the UW site, and they don't look too promising. Unless I missed something, my (caucasian) son will likely get $400 a year.... Don't know about any honors scholarships. He will also apply to honors, after visiting.</p>

<p>Most goes to UW students after year 1. Best bet is local alumni scholarships.</p>

<p>Definitely check out your local UW alumni group- they're active all over the country. Remember, UW does rolling admissions, not EA, you can't compare the two, and it is a public, not private school. From what I've read, there is money available for students already attending UW (the weekly L&S Honors Program newsletter often lists scholarships students can apply for from various depts, or for specific projects/opportunities). And, no, getting into the Honors program will not give you money.</p>

<p>This is one area that the UW needs to improve. What they have done is hold down OOS tuition increases so now it is about $10K less than UM or Uva. Now everyone can feel like they start with a $10k grant. That sure sounds better.</p>

<p>Get all the OOS alumni to start a fund- how much can we put you down for, Barrons?</p>

<p>I usually do at least $500 to the local Seattle chapter. Last year I did more because our funds were low due to rain at the picnic which is one of our big fundraisers. I'm the local scholie chair so I feel badly if we don't have much money to give. I have been thinking about talking to the WAA about starting a Jefferson Scholar sort of thing to raise a substantial endowment just for merit scholies with a focus on OOS kids. Right now the entire thing is rather ad hoc and random. I think the WAA is careful about stepping on the toes of the UW Foundation.</p>