Anyone here transferred to UW???

<p>I'm wondering how UW is about taking credits from an out-of-state junior college. If they take most or all of my credits, then I'm going...but if not, I doubt I'd want to retake a bunch of classes. Has anyone on this forum had first-hand experience with this?</p>

<p>I have heard they can be very picky.</p>

<p>Yes. I brought in two years' worth of credit from a private college (four-year institution, but with a junior college atmosphere). To my surprise almost all of it transferred. </p>

<p>Here's what I lost: credit by examination (college credit for high school classes, mostly language courses); credit for internships (though I appealed this and was finally credited for one of them); and a Spanish class called "Spanish Translation for Social Work" (I think the name might have thrown them off because they might have been unsure how to classify it; I successfully appealed this one too). Unfortunately, some classes transferred only as general elective credits when they would have counted toward breadth and major requirements at my previous school - not an unmanageable number, though.</p>

<p>Transfer students should be prepared to deal with bureaucracy and uncertainty, but many people have managed to do it.</p>

<p>Their website says that they begin to evaluate transfer credits once a student expresses his/her intent to enroll, which, for me, probably won't be until the spring, because I'm waiting on another school. How long does the credit evaluation process take? If there are appeals and things like that, I might have to enroll there before I know what credits will and will not transfer (since I'll start in the summer if I choose UW).</p>

<p>I'm not sure how long credit evaluation is supposed to take. They did not have mine evaluated until about midterms of my first semester, and only gave it to me then because I stood at the evaluator's desk and refused to leave the room until I had it. Presumably that's not the way it's supposed to work, but yes - you might have to enroll in classes before you know what transferred. </p>

<p>My solution was to enroll in classes that did not depend on credit transfer (that is, required classes I would need to take even if all the transfers went through). If a class you took at the previous institution is a prerequisite for one you want to take here, and the transfer office has not returned your transfer credit evaluation, explain the situation to your teachers and ask whether they will waive you into their courses despite not having the prerequisite credits transferred through yet. Everyone I asked let me do that.</p>

<p>Good to know...thanks for your help!</p>