Anyone know if # of overall applications are up again this year?

Just wondering if anyone has heard if schools are continuing to see a rise this year in applications? Any early data released?

2 Likes

But it seems this article is comparing this year’s cycle growth with 2019-2020 not EA/ED 2022 although it did state “The number of individual students using the Common App increased 12 percent year over year, and those from underrepresented racial and ethnic groups rose by 21 percent” but said this is from mainly rolling admissions and also said "“We’ve been adding a lot more members to the platform, from more large public flagships to a lot of HBCUs and other [minority-serving institutions],” he said. I think this year there was that introduction of auto-acceptance of 75 or so universities as well. I think this year will be hard to compare.

Hmmm - here is the same report from one year ago, the tone is a little different and they did not share the same numbers.:

Common app’s Nov report has some data showing growth in both applicants and applications over the last 5 years. Note the common app does not have all applicant volume. Maybe 60%-70% or so. Common app will update this report several times throughout this application season.

1 Like

At my son’s public school with 500 kids in the senior class it seems like a lot of kids are sending out a lot of early action applications. I am surprised at the number of my son’s friends that are already done with all of their applications.

Same. I am actually really impressed. We went into Naviance in mid October and the number of students who had already submitted their apps to schools was surprising.

So it seems total apps are up about 10% this year over last year.

And yes, a ton of early apps and a lot of kids are already done.

Yeah this will make any YOY comparison very noisy. Those public flagships especially each get many tens of thousands of applications. Overall applications may be up 10% or whatever but on a per-school basis may be closer to flat. We won’t know that until next year’s round of CDS publications and announcements from individual schools.

Edit: in fact the article says “He credits a surge in the platform’s institutional members for most of the boost.”

1 Like

I also note (if my math is up to this) there was a YOY increase in applications per applicant from 3.81 to 4.01. That also plausibly could be mostly driven by applicants finding more of their potential early schools, including publics, available on Common App.

2 Likes

Good insight. Thanks.