Anything close to TexMex in Tuscaloosa?

<p>My DS is really craving Mexican, but I think what he has in mind is the Tex Mex he is accustomed to. Are there any restaurants in Tuscaloosa that would be similar?</p>

<p>I think we could open a good Tex-Mex place and a Whataburger right by campus and make a killing. </p>

<p>There have been some recommendations on here before when it has been brought up. Supposed to be some place over off Skyland in a strip center that looks sketchy that is decent. D visited a place on the strip, not Chipotle, that was “okay”, said in a not so thrilled tone by D.</p>

<p>I doubt any Mexican restaurant in Alabama could be labeled Tex-Mex. We have too many actual Mexican and Central American folks here who didn’t come through Texas - well they probably did, but just driving through. </p>

<p>We DO, however, have a lot of BAD Mexican food places!</p>

<p>OTOH, we went to a Mexican food restaurant in Odessa that had some of the worst I’ve ever eaten. And one in Houston that was probably the best (Tia’s, or something like that, it’s been 31 years).</p>

<p>I think there’s a Whataburger somewhere in Tuscaloosa. Years and years ago there was one right next to the band practice field (or maybe it was on it. That was 43 years ago!)</p>

<p>taco bell? haha</p>

<p>none that my daughter has found.</p>

<p>the nachos are ok at el rincon.</p>

<p>maybe the one on mcfarland on the other side of the river?</p>

<p>We’re from Texas – I wouldn’t call it exactly Tex-Mex, but I liked Jalape</p>

<p>The closest Whataburger is in Alabaster, Al. </p>

<p>Hmm, maybe even a good’ol Pancho’s Mexican Buffet would do very well there in a college town.</p>

<p>I like Los Tarascos. There’s one that’s in a divey strip mall east of Walmart, but inside it’s fine.</p>

<p>There is another Los Tarascos in the Northport area on McFarland.</p>

<p>I am taking him a jar of salsa and a bag of tortilla chips from El Fenix…will pick those up Thursday afternoon so the chips will be as fresh as I can get them.
Maybe I should take the Margarita machine for myself…the margarita reviews I have read have been less than stellar.</p>

<p>Txbamamama, love El Fenix chips!!!</p>

<p>Bring on the margarita machine. Or we could mix our own on the rocks. I am ready for some Back Forty Truckstop Honey beer</p>

<p>^ Prays txbamamom is staying at the same hotel as me.</p>

<p>Oh, and I prefer guac over salsa with my chips. ;)</p>

<p>I miss Tex-Mex! There’s only one decent restaurant up here, and it’s ridiculously expensive. txbamamom, you’ve reminded me to ask MY mom to bring stuff up when she comes for a visit from Austin next week.</p>

<p>ATX, hmm, some Chuy’s and Hula Hut. Mmmmm</p>

<p>We really like Iguana Grill in the Midtown Village shopping area.</p>

<p>I read that there is a Pappadeaux opening in Birmingham soon, if that is the case then Pappasitos will follow…yummmm</p>

<p>Guacamole…have to do that fresh…best recipe I have ever had was prepared by my nephew from Washington State…couldn’t believe what I was tasting…the boy is a genius.</p>

<p>Hate a too sweet Margarita…my vote for best Margarita is the Pomegranite Margarita at Iron Cactus in Dallas.</p>

<p>speaking of which … just got back from dinner … mexican food!!! yum!!!</p>

<p>txbamamom, I’m looking forward to meeting you, your margarita machine making the Iron Cactus margaritas and your guacamole making nephew this weekend!</p>

<p>Matt’s Tex Mex right now for dinner here in Dallas :)</p>

<p>Chuy’s in B’ham</p>