AP classes [government] vs University Classes [calculus 3, linear algebra]

Hi there- anyone have an idea if AP classes or actual university classes (at a decent university) are better at helping to get into a good school?
Thanks!

Either are good if you have top grades. I prefer college classes if they will transfer; no worries about having to score a 5 on an AP test. Although some colleges prefer you to not take a lot of outside college classes. They want classes taken on their campus. You do need to investigate whether or not outside classes will be taken by the schools you are considering.

Depends on the specific courses. College course material may be lower level, same level, or higher level than AP course material. There is potentially a much greater range of possible college courses than AP courses.

Transferability may be better or worse for the college courses versus AP scores, depending on the specific courses, the college taken at, and the college transferring to.

2 Likes

For my kids, AP have been the better option. The classes are more rigorous (dual enrollment was through a 2 year school). The High School has top-notch teachers teaching the AP classes and almost a 100% pass rate (with most getting college credit).

1 Like

There may be an advantage to taking a few college courses at a college (not “college in the high school” type of courses), even if you do not take a lot of them and use AP courses for most of your advanced course work. This advantage is not for college admissions, but it gives you a sample of how college courses are run compared to high school (including AP) courses, requiring more self-motivation and time management on the part of the student, with less supervision like in high school. That can make the transition from high school senior to college frosh a smaller transition, since you know what to expect in terms of what college courses expect from students.

2 Likes

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking about comparing something like Calculus 3 or Linear Algebra vs AP US Gov for example. Thanks again!

Obviously, if you want to take calculus 3 and/or linear algebra because you have already completed AP calculus BC, the only option is the college course, since AP math does not go any further.

But do you really need to choose between AP US government and a suitably advanced math course? I.e. can you take both? Presumably, some type of civics or government course is required for high school graduation, and you have a choice between regular and AP versions.

1 Like

Thanks again, and for sure the university is the only option on those classes. However, the issue is often one of scheduling. The high school and university classes don’t often align well (it’s the messed up high school schedule). Some of the teachers say it’s better to take the AP because they are more universally recognized than university class.

It depends where you want to go to university. If you want to go to a public school and want to earn credit for courses taken while still in high school, take the university class. If you want to end up at an elite private school and don’t really care about actually earning credit, take AP.

Because the courses are in different subjects, it depends on whether you prioritize more advanced math versus the AP level government course over regular government course.

It sounds like your choices are:

• Prioritize more advanced math:
    • Take calculus 3 and/or linear algebra at the college.
    • Take regular civics / government.
  • Prioritize AP level government:
    • Take no math (or a lower level math like AP statistics if you have not already taken it).
    • Take AP government.

Which is better depends on your academic interests. If you plan to major in math, statistics, physics, or perhaps other math-heavy subjects like engineering or pre-PhD economics, then it would be reasonable to prioritize more advanced math. If you plan to major in political science or perhaps other social sciences, then it would be reasonable to prioritize AP government.

ucbalumnus- I think that makes the most sense.

Ps. I just picked AP gov as an example, but there is AP psych, AP Literature etc. vs. math or physics at the university.

I read somewhere but can’t rem where that if the school offers the same class it’s preferable to take the AP at the high school but don’t rem where I heard that. I don’t know if it’s true.

1 Like

It may be more helpful for others who may want to help you to list:

• Your ideal course selection if there is no scheduling conflict.
  • High school / AP courses that conflict with college calculus 3.
  • High school / AP courses that conflict with college linear algebra.
  • Your main areas of academic interest.
1 Like