AP Credit and Engineering

<p>Hey everyone,</p>

<p>I will be majoring in Petroleum Engineering this fall at TAMU and will actually have my orientation within the next two weeks. I received my AP exam scores and found that I very well in Calculus. Everyone I've talked to said that freshman year calculus is a weed out class and I am trying hard to avoid those classes. Do you all recommend to take the AP credit and jump straight into Calc 3? Is Calc 3 much easier than calc 1 and 2 at TAMU? I also plan on taking the credit for English so I have extra time to focus on other classes. Im pretty nervous haha.</p>

<p>Thanks in advance.</p>

<p>Fullmetalx,</p>

<p>Just playing devil’s advocate a bit. Check out Myedu.com and Calc I typical grades vs. Calc II and Calc III.</p>

<p>I would be tempted to think that if you performed really well on your AP exam, then Calc I & Calc II might be pretty much a breeze for you and might be good for your gpa.</p>

<p>Just me thinking though. Maybe some current students can give you better feedback.</p>

<p>D did well on hers too. Better than she expected.</p>

<p>When you get to your conference you will find that most of your desired professors’ classes have been full for 151 (I have no clue about other because I didn’t look). If you see a professor you would like to take then consider which Calculus you will take. You wouldn’t want to take 151 and also have a sucky professor.</p>

<p>When you go to your NSC you will meet with your advisor(morning on the 2nd day). They will tell you what they think you should take as far as your AP credits go. They also have a information sheet with info they have compiled on you for the Engineering program(afternoon of the first day), ex. what math class etc</p>

<p>FullMetalx,
My son and several of his friends who made 5s on BC went ahead and took Multi Variable and Diff E and did fine. My S had poor teacher for Diff E and had to teach himself. But they are all happy that they took credit for the first two!</p>

<p>My D skipped both Calcs and did great. She is a Science major, though. I don’t know I’d that makes a difference. She had all 5’s on APs.</p>

<p>Thanks everyone for the replies! I think im gonna take calc 3!</p>

<p>One system that I have seen advocated is to use the SAT math score in conjunction with AP Calc score to determine which level of calculus to take. </p>

<p>For example, if student has above a 750 in SAT Math and 5s on Calc BC then advancing to Calc 3 is fine. </p>

<p>For those with 5s on BC , SAT M below 700 Calc 2 is considered better.</p>

<p>For those with 4 on BC, SATM>650 Calc 2.</p>

<p>For those with 4 on BC, SATM<650 Calc 1.</p>

<p>@perazziman
how about someone with above 700 but below 750 and 5 on BC calc?</p>

<p>SAT scores aside, if you got a 5 on BC you should definitely go ahead and take Calc 3.</p>

<p>And to answer your question, I’ve heard that Calc 3 at TAMU is harder than Calc 1, but easier than Calc 2. I’ve taken both Calc 1 and 2, but will be taking Calc 3 this coming semester so I haven’t been able to verify it yet.</p>

<p>Well, someone has to earn B grades in Calc III too, right? I am kidding, I believe they leave it to the student to decide. I would look at the SAT Math II Subject Test to help me decide. If 800 then Calc III. If less than 750 take Calc II.</p>

<p>How bout this, FullMetal. If you have no troubles with these past common exams
[MATH</a> 152 Common Exam Archive, Department of Mathematics, Texas A&M University](<a href=“http://www.math.tamu.edu/courses/math152/common-exams/]MATH”>MATH 152 Common Exam Archive, Department of Mathematics, Texas A&amp;M University)</p>

<p>skip to Math 251.</p>