AP credit - anyone know if they ever resolved the issues from last year's Bama Bound?

<p>I was looking at some old threads about course selection at Bama Bound and saw that some freshmen had issues last year registering for freshman seminars, apparently because they had too much AP credit and were classified as sophomores. Do we know if they ever fixed that? I am trying to decide whether to send my S’s AP scores up to this point to Bama now or just wait till after this year’s tests and send them all (which would be after his BB session). The reason to send them ahead is that the ones he has already taken give him credit for classes that are prerequisites for classes he wants to register for. Do they check for that at BB? i.e., will they let him register for CS 260 at BB if they don’t have his CS AP score which shows he has credit for CS 150, 160 and 250? Same thing for Math 301, he needs Math 125/126 before that which he has credit for but they don’t know that.</p>

<p>I don’t mind paying the $15 to send them now, but then I got to thinking that if he has too many credits he may end up with the opposite problem, not being able to register for the freshman engineering classes or a freshman seminar.</p>

<p>The only reason I care at all is that we have a pretty early flight home from Bama Bound, so it would be better if my S had things go as smoothly as possible during registration. We really need to be able to have him register and then bolt. I know we can also fix it later if necessary, especially since he is going to the first BB session, but I figured I would check with the gurus here and see what was recommended.</p>

<p>As always, thanks for any assistance. I love this board. :)</p>

<p>I think it was just the first session that had the issue. Are you signed up for the first session?</p>

<p>Sent from my DROID RAZR using CC</p>

<p>I’m not sure any of us will know if problems such as these were ever resolved (mom2k weigh in?), but I can suggest talking with the helpful guy in charge of CS, a/o an advisor for CS, now, rather than wait. Express exactly what you said (you have early flight…you want to make sure AP credits are posted/accepted for prereqs to go through…but don’t want issue w/ too many credits!). I think someone will be able to help you. Once you get to BB, they expect the students to solve their own problems, so your involvement now heads this issue off.</p>

<p>My D had BB before her scores arrived (we didn’t send any early). I recall she might have had issues with needing overrides (i.e. going directly into Calc III), but it all worked out. We tried to get the overrides set up early and couldn’t. I think the advisor during the registration session had to call to get it.</p>

<p>aeromom - do you think Dr. Cordes would be the one to speak with? I’m not sure how to find a CS advisor.</p>

<p>vlines, yes, first session.</p>

<p>lattelady - that’s exactly what I am concerned about. I have no doubt whatsoever that he would be able to work it out, we just don’t have tons of time to spare for him to do it.</p>

<p>Sixonenineone? ;)</p>

<p>DS had first BB last year and did not have results form AP’s back at that time. Did have to get an override or two but had no issues getting the overrides and into the classes he wanted first term.</p>

<p>Also he was finished registering fairly early in the time slot so hopefully your need for speed won’t be an issue.</p>

<p>I agree that overrides for prereqs and class placement are handled at BB very easily and on the spot. Since latte says these overrides could not be dealt with early (e.g., prior to BB), have your student bring a copy of the AP scores (printout). </p>

<p>The issue really is about having Sophomore designation and trying to reg for those Freshman-only classes. That is a question for Honors College, I should think, and I recall Mom2K shooting off an email to Sharpe about that issue last May when this first cropped up at BB.</p>

<p>And, what is sixonenineone?</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>And this is an issue we have run into several times! A quick email usually clears things up. </p>

<p>As a side note, I was surprised to see that D had been informed by housing that she could room select as a rising senior! She is currently classified as a junior and will in fact have senior standing in the fall but only because she is doing UA at Oxford this summer. So their system must just make determinations based on current classifications and not actual math (current credits + spring credits do not equal 90).</p>

<p>I have no idea why cuttlefish wrote it out in words like that, but it’s my anniversary. :)</p>

<p>Because some of us CCers have minds in the gutter. Myself included ;)</p>

<p>lisa - </p>

<p>My kid was one of several that we met at the first BB who was unable to register for a class that he wanted (due to sophomore status) because by the time they agreed there was a problem the class had been filled, and the override was far too late. I understand the problem was fixed before the next BB, but since I imagine there are sophomore status freshman every year I can only surmise that something fell through the cracks. The REALLY frustrating thing was that when he asked the advisers if his status was the problem, they repeatedly told him “no”. I remember him calling me from the room, practically the last kid there, telling me he couldn’t find any classes that weren’t full, and should he just take Latin I again since it had a spot. (5 years of Latin in HS, 4 on the AP exam - um, No!)</p>

<p>He ended up in Honor’s Psych with a great teacher, and overall, not a big deal but he would have much preferred the other, not to mention the stress of watching the seats disappear before his eyes and unable to do anything. If I could do it again, I would not attend the first BB for the ‘getting the bugs out’ reason. It was probably a fluke, but it would be nice to know in advance if UA has taken steps to make sure the sophomore status kids won’t encounter this issue again.</p>

<p>So there were 2 issues it seems. </p>

<ol>
<li><p>If they ddi not have the AP results, you will need to get an over ride to sign up for the class. That will be all sessions. </p></li>
<li><p>First year students coming in with enough AP/DE credits to give them sophomore or higher status were not permitted to sign up for “first year only” classes. </p></li>
</ol>

<p>I am sure that the 1st problem will be for every BB session. The is why sending in the AP scores early does help. The second problem was taken care of before the second BB started.</p>

<p>Nrdmom - this brings back some (bittersweet) memories of BB!<br>
Lisa, you are very wise to read the old threads and head off any issues that you can. Rest assured that it DOES all work out in the end at UA. There are no pervasive problems at UA whatsoever, as there are perhaps at other schools (reading other forums). Not at all sorry if that sounds biased: it is. We love UA!!!</p>

<p>Lisa6191: I was attempting to be funny. You said your last name was hard to pronounce, so I was making a joke. Guess I should preface the joke next time. :)</p>

<p>Slo-ski, here. Ha, ha, joke’s on me. I did not even notice the last part of her moniker when I asked (and I was asking Cuttle, not Lisa, what is meant). I just thought sixonenineone was terribly random a post…</p>

<p>Omg I am cracking up!! I’ll admit the raunchy implication crossed my mind when cuttlefish posted that, but in the almost 22 years that I’ve been using 6191 nobody has ever made that connection, at least not to me. I’m shocked at the filthy minds on this board, shocked I tell you! :smiley: </p>

<p>Was I talking about my last name on this thread? It might have been a different one which is why I didn’t get it. Very cute, cuttlefish. That would be better than my real last name!</p>

<p>Back on topic - I’m inclined to send his scores since the classes that will be harder for him to get into are the ones that need the prereqs. If he gets the schedule he is hoping for, the only freshman classes are the freshman engineering classes. I’m not really concerned about those - since they are required, it’ll have to work out for those eventually, right? Even if they are screwed up at his session he will be able to fix it later. Does this seem like sound reasoning or am I missing something?</p>

<p>Oh, Lisa6191, you are correct it was on another thread. No wonder my little joke fell flat. Here is the post from Miss Lisa:</p>

<p>“I loved being “Miss Lisa” when we lived in Tennessee. Great compromise between the formality of Mrs. and the familiarity of first names. Plus my last name is horrendous and gets butchered by everyone, so I am happy not to use it if I don’t have to.”</p>

<p>Yes, you have all summer to tweak the fall schedule. That seems to one of the advantages of the earlier BB.</p>