AP Credit & College Transcripts

What does AP credit look like on a college transcript? Does it have any contribution to GPA? Does it appear at all?

Sorry for the seemingly basic question. Was just thinking about this today and didn’t know the answer.

AP credit does not impact college GPA.

I believe there is a line in my D’s transcript that says something like “previously earned credits” and lists the AP course equivalents for her university.

Zero impact on GPA and no scores shown.

I expect that it varies school by school.

How it appears on a transcript varies. Some colleges just list AP credit, while others list a course equivalency. In general, AP scores do not affect college GPA, although there are a few exceptions, such as in NCSU’s CODA process (competitive secondary admission to engineering majors).

1 Like

On my daughter’s final transcript, there was a section for AP Credits, listed prior to the first semester, itemizing the credits for each - but nothing in the “Grade” column.

Then in the final section of the transcripts, where it broke down the “cumulative points completed” like this.

collegename POINTS COMPLETED [GPA] xxx.0 [x.xx]
TRANSFER POINTS 0.0
SUMMER POINTS xx.0
OTHER POINTS 24.0
CUMULATIVE POINTS COMPLETED 152.0

The AP credits were shown as “other points” towards the total, but did not contribute to the GPA.

FWIW, even the summer courses at the University were counted towards credits and a minor, but the grades appeared only in a comment, where they were not counted towards the transcript GPA.

In short, only courses taken at the college itself counted towards the GPA, honor society or latin honors.

1 Like