AP credit & course listing question

<p>1st the easy question: when do the Fall 2010 course listings become available?</p>

<p>2nd: for those of you who had significant AP credit going into UA, how did you decide which credits to apply? For example, I’ve heard that even if you have some science or math credits that you shouldn’t apply them, since lower level college courses in those areas are critical to building on for the rest of the sequence. Does that only matter if you’re a math/science major?</p>

<p>Also, D will end up taking both AP English Language & AP English Literature. I only see one entry for AP English on the UA AP credit chart. Does that mean if she scores well enough on both, she only gets AP credit at UA for one of them?</p>

<p>TIA!</p>

<h1>1…very soon…probably in Feb.</h1>

<h1>2…Apply all AP Credits (they’re automatically applied anyway - the student doesn’t do anything - the scores get sent in July). That doesn’t mean that you still can’t take the course. You can still take Cal I, even if you got a 5 in AP Cal BC. Many kids take Cal I, Bio, or Chem even if they have AP credits. Pre-med students often retake the classes, because some med schools won’t count AP classes…</h1>

<p>You want those AP credits no matter WHAT. Those credits boost your position for priority registering! :)</p>

<h1>3 As for both AP English courses…Since both Freshman Comp req’ts only require a 4 on ONE test, she’ll only be able to cross off 2 classes - because there are no other freshman comp classes to cross off. Does that make sense? I don’t know if they will give her 6 or 12 credits - because there are only 2 frosh comp classes. But, if she only gets a 3 on one exam, then it won’t matter.</h1>

<p>^ say what?? :slight_smile:
will have to look at the AP Eng 3 (Lang.) and 4 (Lit.) situation more closely - would be a shame if DSs AP Lit. class doesn’t count for anything, at his school it’s a killer.</p>

<p>Why then, would he bother to pay the $81 and take the test (since he already got a 5 on the first one)?</p>

<p>In theory then, if you are applying (say) AP Calc A but still end up taking UA Calc, can you then apply those AP credits to an elective or something? Or do they just count as “unrequired” courses and serve only to increase your actual credit count?</p>

<p>Realizing more and more how clueless I am!</p>

<p>link to AP credit section of 08 catalog…
<a href=“Page Not Found | The University of Alabama”>Page Not Found | The University of Alabama;

<p>^ say what??
will have to look at the AP Eng 3 (Lang.) and 4 (Lit.) situation more closely - would be a shame if DSs AP Lit. class doesn’t count for anything, at his school it’s a killer.
</p>

<p>:)</p>

<p>Since your child got a 3 on AP Eng Language, then AP English Lit will count as well! </p>

<p>Getting a 3 on English Language only counts for Frosh Comp I class. His AP English Lit class will cover the second semester’s Frosh Comp II requirement.</p>

<p>So, not wasted. :)</p>

<p>No, he got a 5 on “AP Eng 3 Language” (the 3 is in our HS course name, not his grade!) :)</p>

<p>so his 5 should cover both semesters bringing him to a total of 6 credits which covers the requirement - right?</p>

<p>So AP4 is wasted… :(</p>

<p>It’s not like he can drop AP4 now since he has to have four years to graduate but if he could take a pass on studying for that AP test that would lighten the load…
Will contact UA and see if he can use the extra credits for electives or something. Otherwise not taking the lazy way out, but why spend the extra $81 and time?</p>

<p>He might get the 3 or 6 credits for AP English that he’s taking now, but they won’t count for a particular class since the AP English that he got the 5 in takes care of those classes… </p>

<p>When you contact UA, be careful who you talk to about this. When I had to call about a very similar question, I got a wrong answer before getting the right one. Often the people who answer the phones don’t know that much about AP credits. Plus, UA changed their policies 2 years ago, so some don’t know the latests.</p>

<p>^ thanks for the warning, will check a few places!</p>

<p>Let us know what you’ve found out. :)</p>

<ol>
<li><p>The Fall 2010 course listing will be out in February. We start registering just after Spring Break and are already meeting with advisors to be cleared for registration.</p></li>
<li><p>As stated previously, UA applies the credit automatically. When this happens, it can be accessed on myBama by clicking the academics tab, then student services, then student records, then academic transcript, and finally click submit.</p></li>
</ol>

<p>As for taking classes you already have credit in, it is certainly possible. It will probably be noted as a retake on the transcript, but the grade should replace the “Pass” grade given from AP/IB/CLEP credit. I have a couple courses that transferred in as the same thing, so those are denoted as retakes on my transcript and my attempted hours is higher than my earned hours. The general rule is to only retake courses that are directly applicable to your major and are absolutly essential to understanding future courses. Note that retaking only seems to be common for engineering, premed, and other students majoring in the hard sciences. </p>

<p>Unless things change when the 2010 catalog comes out, taking the both AP English classes and getting a 4 or 5 on both isn’t going to get the student any more credit than a 4 on just one of the tests would. The reasoning I’ve been told about why no AP credit can be applied to UA literature courses is that AP and general literature courses don’t teach a specific type of literature ie American, British, or World Literature. I doubt that they’d even give EN 197 or 297 ( English Elective) credit, but stranger things have happened. The caveat with AP courses is that colleges reserve the right not to grant credit and/or placement for a passing score on any and all AP tests. Besides the difficult work, I hope your son is enjoying his lit class. Sometimes it makes sense to take a harder class even though it is not necessary (good teacher, friends, interesting subject, etc.).</p>

<p>*The general rule is to only retake courses that are directly applicable to your major and are absolutly essential to understanding future courses. Note that retaking only seems to be common for engineering, premed, and other students majoring in the hard sciences.
*</p>

<p>Very good advice!</p>

<hr>

<p>The reasoning I’ve been told about why no AP credit can be applied to UA literature courses is that AP and general literature courses don’t teach a specific type of literature ie American, British, or World Literature.</p>

<p>That’s what I was told when I asked the same question…</p>

<p>My older son just took AP English Lit (AP English Comp wasn’t offered at the time) but scored to get credit for the two semesters of Frosh Comp. My younger son “cheated” (LOL) by not taking either AP English class, but took the AP English Comp exam and scored to get out of both Frosh Comp classes.</p>

<p>I did some spot checking for AP English credit at other colleges. Bama isn’t different from what I’ve seen. I haven’t found other colleges that will give full double credit for both AP English Lit and AP English Comp. I keep seeing credit for only 2 classes.</p>

<p>BTW…AL34…how many AP classes has your son taken? How many credits will he have?</p>

<p>Thanks for the clarification everyone. I thought that would be the situation with the English class; as much as I’d like to see her get credit for both the classes, the reality is that she loves AP English and would have taken both anyway. And a lot of schools don’t even give credit for AP classes anyway.</p>

<p>It would be nice if someone who has received at least 4’s on both AP English classes would say what is shown on their online Bama transcript.</p>

<p>Think DS will have 23 when he graduates HS, according to the UA chart…
should be applying everything except Calc., and desn’t count his (possibly useless) AP Eng IV.</p>

<p>Quite frankly, if he knew he wasn’t going to use the AP Eng IV credit there are many other more specific English IV classes he would have chosen… oh well, no harm done.</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>AL34…Are you including the Calculus in the 23? If not, you still need to include it in the count, even if your son decides to retake Cal I.</p>

<p>Is your son taking AP Cal AB or AP Cal BC?</p>

<p>Regarding how the AP English is listed, my son showed me his transcript. He got 4s on the Lit and the Language. It is listed as English 101 and 102 with the grade of P for passed. </p>

<p>I know that some parents might tell their kids not to take the Lit/Language exam this May if they already have the AP credit. But I would beg to differ. That class, if the student passes the exam, goes toward class standing. Imagine if a student comes in with 59 credits, choosing not to take that AP exam. He is classified as a sophomore. The kid who takes the exam and passes it is a junior. It may not seem too important right now, but those three credits could allow a student a higher class standing, thus giving him or her a chance to register earlier during priority registration (if in the honors program) or even if he or she is not in the honors program. The same is true with housing. So three credits can be a big deal if everyone wants the same class as your son or daughter.</p>

<p>As for retaking a class that a student has AP/IB credit for, it is possible. My son did it with honors calculus, because he had not had the class since his sophomore year. What he did, however, was to take the class as an audit. He did all the work and the tests. The refresher was good, and the professor was more than happy to have him in the class.</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>I’m not sure I understand… </p>

<p>If Bama only gives you 6 credits (for Comp I and Comp II) after getting a 4 in AP English Comp, Bama doesn’t give you 6 additional credits for getting a 4 in AP English lit (for a total of 12). A 4 or 5 on either AP English exam gives a student 6 credits, which is all that is given.</p>

<p>As you’ve described for your son, he would have gotten those same 6 credits whether he took the second test or not. I person would still have those “59 credits” either way. Bama doesn’t give an additional 6 credits at that point.</p>

<p>(oops - cross posted with Mom2, I think she stated the issue more clearly than I did -)</p>

<p>the 23 includes Calc AB,</p>

<p>I’m still confused, what I need to find out is, since there is not even a category for it on the AP List, will he get credit at all? It just says “English” for 3 or 6 credits (with the 4 it counts for 6 credits), and that is apparently referring to AP Eng. Lang. </p>

<p>Since there is no category for AP Eng. Literature will they count it at all? - see my confusion?</p>

<p>Guess it really doesn’t matter because I can’t really see DS taking the class and skipping the test.</p>

<p>I like the idea of using the AP credit and then auditing Honors Calc., in theory you could test the waters 1st semester freshman year, shoot for that great grade, but know if you didn’t hit it for whatever reason, difficulty with the work, adjusting to school, etc., it wouldn’t hurt your GPA.</p>

<p>smart lot on this board! :)</p>

<p>*It just says “English” for 3 or 6 credits (with the 4 it counts for 6 credits), and that is apparently referring to AP Eng. Lang. </p>

<p>Since there is no category for AP Eng. Literature will they count it at all? - see my confusion?
*</p>

<p>It isn’t referring to AP English Language. It is referring to either (note that it doesn’t say one or the other). I will find the explanation online and post. </p>

<p>I have done more spot-checking - UTexas, UMichigan, UCalif, etc, and no one gives more credit. Either they do what Bama does (credit for 2 courses with one good score), or they only give credit for one class per test (which is a bigger pain, because what if a kid only takes one or doesn’t do well with one?)</p>

<p>*I like the idea of using the AP credit and then auditing Honors Calc., *</p>

<p>I wonder how that works if using scholarship tuition money? Is there a stipulation that as long as you have 12 regular credits, then it’s ok? Do you have to pay for auditing classes even if you have a tuition scholarship? Anyone know?</p>

<p>Here’s the full explanation of all that has to do with Bama’s First Year Writing Program </p>

<p>(I’ve copied the whole thing…even parts that have nothing to do with AP.)</p>

<p>First-Year Writing Program ENGLISH PLACEMENT GUIDELINES:</p>

<p>• A score of 3 AP English (Language or Literature) substitutes for EN 101 credit and places students into EN 102.</p>

<p>• A score of 4 or 5 AP English (Language or Literature) substitutes for EN 101 and EN 102 credit and fulfills a student’s 6-hour first-year writing requirement.</p>

<p>• EN 103 (Honors First-year Writing)–optional placement with ACT composite of 28 or 1240 SAT composite or ACT English score of 30 or higher or SAT verbal of 720 or higher (yields 6 hours of credit and substitutes for EN 101 and EN 102).</p>

<p>• Honors sections of EN 215, 216, 218, and 220–optional placement with AP English (Language or Literature) test score of 4 or 5.</p>

<p>• EN 099 placement based on first day diagnostic; some placement is also done prior to first day of classes on recommendation of advisor or Student Support Services (based on high school GPA and/or ACT scores).</p>