AP credit & course listing question

<p>*Since there is no category for AP Eng. Literature will they count it at all? - see my confusion?
*</p>

<p>They aren’t going to count one of your son’s AP English exams. He already has a 5 on one AP English exam. Assuming that he gets at least a 4 on this May’s exam, when Bama gets sent ALL of his AP scores in July, Bama will load them in and it’s a wild guess as to which one won’t count. LOL</p>

<p>My kids’ high school didn’t require final exams from kids who take AP classes. At their school they are required to take the AP Exams, but they don’t take final exams.</p>

<p>^ LOL!
That’s even more confusing :)</p>

<p>So with a test score of 4 or 5 you can place into Honors EN215, 216, 218 or 220, but since that grade already fulfilled your 6-hour first-year writing requirement, why would you enroll in these Honors Eng courses anyways? </p>

<p>Of course if you love English then it’s all good, but can’t see how those classes would fit under First-year Writing Program then…</p>

<p>now I’m having fun :)</p>

<p>*So with a test score of 4 or 5 you can place into Honors EN215, 216, 218 or 220, but since that grade already fulfilled your 6-hour first-year writing requirement, why would you enroll in these Honors Eng courses anyways? </p>

<p>Of course if you love English then it’s all good, but can’t see how those classes would fit under First-year Writing Program then…
*</p>

<p>Agree that it doesn’t seem to fit in with “First Year Writing.” </p>

<p>Those other English classes fulfill the Literature requirement that’s part of Core Curriculum.</p>

<p>But, you’re right, they’re not freshman writing.</p>

<p>BTW…DS1 took Susan Reynolds (I think that’s her first name) for a Literature class and LOVED her.</p>

<p>Note that there is also an EN 219 which is honors American Literature I, 220 is Honors American Lit II, 215 and 216 Honors British Literature I and II, respectively, and 218 is Honors World Literature II. To get the non-honors equivalents, subtract 10 from the course number. I took EN 210 with Megan King and really enjoyed it.</p>

<p>For those that were asking, the Fall 2010 schedule is now up and can be viewed on myBama via one of the many buttons to that say “class schedule” or “look up courses.”</p>

<p>While I don’t know who on CC will ultimately attend UA, I’m excited to see such a bright group of students considering UA.</p>

<p>In terms of taking a class as an audit, my son said he signed up for honors calculus, then just before classes began, he returned to the registrar and asked that it be changed to an audit. He already had enough credits to be listed as full-time, so it was no problem.</p>

<p>So if my son got a 35 on his ACT English would he be required to take any English courses at Bama?</p>

<p>^^^^</p>

<p>Did he take any AP English exams? If not then…</p>

<p>*• EN 103 (Honors First-year Writing)–optional placement with ACT composite of 28 or 1240 SAT composite or ACT English score of 30 or higher or SAT verbal of 720 or higher (yields 6 hours of credit and substitutes for EN 101 and EN 102).
*</p>

<p>Then if he takes EN 103, he’ll get 6 credits which will sub for En 101 and 102…</p>

<p>He’d also still have to take any Literature req’ts depending on his Core Req’ts.</p>

<p>Of course, all students have to take 2 upper division writing courses, but those are usually in one’s major and/or in the honors program.</p>

<p>BTW…a similar thing can be done for some foreign languages…a student can take 103 Intensive Review Spanish or French or whatever, and get credit for both FL req’ts.</p>

<p>He took AP Language but got a 3 on the exam. He is also taking a college English class this year and next year (currently a HS Junior). Not sure how this would all apply.</p>

<p>The 3 on AP English takes care of English Comp 101.</p>

<p>If he takes English Comp 102 dual enrollment, then he’ll be fine.</p>

<p>SeaTide: thanks for letting us know that the Fall schedule is up !</p>

<p>Is EN 103 significantly harder than 101 and 102? Are there any benefits to taking this course?</p>

<p>The benefit is that you only have to take one class, yet you get credit for taking two classes.</p>

<p>I don’t think it’s harder than the 2 classes, but it might be more condensed since it’s two classes in one.</p>

<p>That may sound daunting, but my guess is that since the class has high stats kids in it, it doesn’t have to cover the more basic things that the regular 101 and 102 have to cover. The students in this class would likely already know how to write a 3 para, 5 para, etc essay - with thesis statement, supporting points, conclusion, and works cited. </p>

<p>If I remember correctly, Bama doesn’t use MLA for all/some writing classes. Bama (sometimes?) uses that other one that I don’t remember off-hand.</p>

<p>The catalog says this…
En 103 Advanced English Composition</p>

<p>Students who are placed into EN 103 on the basis of test scores are awarded an additional 3 hours of credit in English Composition upon successful completion of the course. </p>

<p>Expository writing. Topics to be determined by each instructor.</p>

<p>From the people I’ve known who’ve taken the course, EN 103 is next in sequence after EN 102, so it is slightly more difficult. It is not supposed to be 6 credits of work, it is a 3 credit class and UA grants you an extra 3 credits which is very similar to its policy of giving students credit for the lower levels of a language if they pass the next level of the language. Note that the language policy I am referring to is based off the placement test you will have the opportunity to take during your Bama Bound session. Scoring high enough on the AP or CLEP exams grants you the credit without requiring you to take any additional classes in that language. As for the merits of taking EN 103 versus 101 and 102, doing so gives you the opportunity to take a class that you may like better and also spares you from having to write 6 credit hours worth of papers instead of the 3 you would have by taking EN 103.</p>

<p>I was in EN 103 last semester, and it’s basically just freshman comp crammed into one semester. It really wasn’t as hard as it sounds though, and if you can get the scores to get in (28 on the ACT English part?) I would definitely recommend it. It’s probably a little bit more work, but it’s not all that hard ;)</p>

<p>And no, Sea_Tide. 103 is equivalent to taking 101 and 102. It’s not a sequence.</p>

<p>EN 103 is next in sequence after EN 102</p>

<p>No, it’s not. However, some can take it after EN 101, if they get an A.</p>

<p>For incoming freshmen, the right ACT/SAT score gets you admitted.</p>

<p>If someone gets a 3 on one of the Eng. AP tests - they get credit for EN 101. They would then be required to still take EN 102. If they qualified for EN 103 with their ACT score, would there be any benefit to taking 103 instead of 102? Would those extra 3 credits they get for 103 apply to any of the other requirements?</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>*EN 103 Advanced English Composition. 3 hours.</p>

<p>This is an accelerated freshman composition course that is open to students with minimum composite scores of 28 ACT or 1240 SAT, or minimum ACT English scores of 30 or SAT verbal scores of 720.** With the appropriate qualifying scores and the completion of EN 103 with a grade of “C-“ or higher, placement credit is awarded for EN 101 and the general education requirement for freshman composition is completed. **Expository writing. Topics to be determined by each instructor. Grades are reported as “A,” “B,” “C,” or “NC” (“No Credit”). A grade of “C-” is required as a prerequisite for advancing to another English course at The University of Alabama. EN 103 does not apply as credit to the English major or minor.</p>

<p>*</p>

<p>Upon completion of 103, you’re not given 6 credits…you’re only given 3 credits. BUT…the school then considers the entire Frosh Comp requirement complete (even though it’s only 3 credits). </p>

<p>So…your son can either retake the AP English Comp exam and try for a 4 or 5 (which might be a good idea)…or take 102.</p>

<p>He hasn’t taken the English AP test…but it is not his strongest subject (the writing portion.) Didn’t know you could re-take an AP test - will have to look into that (if he gets something less than a 4.) Thanks for the info.</p>

<p>yes, you can retake AP exams while you’re in high school. So if your child is a senior, he won’t be able to retake a test that he takes in May. He can retake a test that he took as a frosh, soph, jr.</p>

<p>As for AP English Comp… My younger son is not what I would call a strong writer (he’s ok). He didn’t want to take AP English Comp in HS because the teacher was a bit - well - psycho. lol Anyway, he self-studied and got the needed score to get credit for both Frosh Comp I and II. The next year, he helped a pal self-study and this pal got the needed score, too.</p>

<p>Both my kids have said that AP English Comp is one of the easiest AP exams to self-study for.</p>

<p>That’s good to hear. My son will be taking just 1 semester of AP Eng Comp - next semester. According to the description, it’s supposed to be adequate for taking the AP test…although I would have expected it to be a full year course. Not sure who his teacher will be or how good she will be. I suppose we could find a good AP self-study guide.</p>

<p>I’ve impressed upon him the importance of doing well on this AP test. I placed out of fresh comp in college but always heard it is one of the hardest, most time consuming classes.</p>